"Les Cévennes: Saint Germain de Calberte area" Parc National des Cévennes by XenoHumph
Parc National des Cévennes Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 130 photos
Les Cévennes are a beautiful mountaineous region of France, located on the Southeastern slopes of Massif Central. It is one of the most remote and wild region of France. For those who like to get away from the main stream of tourists, it is ideal!
This region is mainly known to the anglophone public through a book by R. L. Stevenson who went hiking through Cevennes in 1878 and wrote a book about it: 'Travel with a Donkey in the Cevennes'.
Here is a very good website with lots of information on trails, architecture, flora, fauna, traditions...:
And the website of the Parc itself:
Finally, a practical website for activities around St Germain de Calberte, updated constantly by the locals: http://www.cevennes.com/index.htm
The Cévennes can be divided in 3 broad regions, mainly based on the geology which actually shapes landscape, climate and architecture.
1) The Southwest, Causses and calcareous canyons. Causses are big flat plateaus, cut by deep gorges such as Gorges du Tarn. The traditionnal houses are made of carbonaceous rocks. The climate is quite rough, especially in winter: high winds, snow and cold.
2) Two big granitic mountains, Mont Lozère (North) and Mont Aigoual (South). Houses made of granite, and typical mountain climate.
3) Southeast. metamorphic-rock (schists) Cévennes. Characterized by long crested hills and deep valleys, not many flat parts. The houses look severe because made of dark schist, but the climate is the nicest of all of Cevennes, as it is buffered by Mediterranean winds.
This VT page only describes 3), "les Cévennes schisteuses".
Main activities in Cévennes are hiking, strolling through quaint villages, and a few local museums about history (protestant religion refuge, WW2 german resistance refuge for example) and traditions of the region.
- Pros:Beautiful and remote France
- In a nutshell:France's countryside, as remote and authentic as you can find
The tree-less mountain crests and plateaux are covered by a low lying bush called bruyères (heather) which makes pretty... more travel advice
During the Neolithic (6000-3000 BC), inhabitants of C?vennes erected many stones, called menhir or dolmen (when there is... more travel advice
XenoHumph's Related Pages
Parc National des Cévennes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mountains, bridges, flowers, villages, camisards."
- "Les Cévennes: Saint Germain de Calberte area"
- "The Cévennes"
- "Away from the crowds"
- "Hugenots hiding place."
- "TRIPS IN FRANCE 1999"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parc National des Cévennes
- Hotels in Parc National des Cévennes
- Transportation in Parc National des Cévennes
- Shopping in Parc National des Cévennes
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lake George
- Forest Hills Hotels
- Manatee Springs State Park Hotels
- Steptoe Butte State Park
- Dipolog City
- Tanjong Tokong Hotels
- Oneida Lake Beach East Hotels
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Hotels
- Saint-Gilles-les Bains
- Kepayan Hotels
- Michigan City
Badges & Stats in Parc National des Cévennes
- 18 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 81 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Parc National des Cévennes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parc National des Cévennes
- updated a Parc National des Cévennes Travel Page "Les Cévennes: Saint Germain de Calberte area"
- Posted in Travel Houston Forum "Re: Information about Friendswood..."
- Commented on one of JLBG's Parc National des Cévennes travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Les Cévennes: Saint Germain de Calberte area"
- Wrote a Review Heather covered mountain tops in Parc National des Cévennes Things to Do
Photos in Parc National des CévennesSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houston Intro, 101 reviews, 157 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yunnan Sheng Intro, 63 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Martinique Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos
- Kamchatskaya Oblast' Intro, 31 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 24 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 22 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 34 reviews, 33 photos
- Figeac Intro, 27 reviews, 36 photos