"Quercy: between Lot and Dordogne rivers" Figeac by XenoHumph
Figeac Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 62 photos
Gorgeous villages, mighty castles, peaceful rivers, amazing food, pleasant weather, lovely landscapes, impressive caves, excellent wines, fascinating prehistory and history... the Quercy region has it all! If you want to experience France outside Paris, this is the region I would advise you to visit.
Caves dug by water for millions of years in limestone were later visited by pre-historic man who left dreamy drawings of buffaloes and mammoths more than 10,000 years ago! See my soon to come tips on Pech-Merles and Padirac caves.
The Middle-age 100-year war swept through Quercy leaving vilages and castles built by the French and the English, yes you read perfectly well, the English who owned big chunks of the region at the time! See my soon to come tips on Montpazier town, Bonaguil and Castelnau castles.
Religious fervor always ran though Quercy which many towns are on the Christian pilgrimage route to Compostelle in Spain, and resulting in many gorgeous villages full of beautiful churches, convents and abbeys. See my soon to come tips on Rocamadour, the Célé valley, and Cadouin.
Quercy offers some of the best food and wine experience you can get in France with specialties of duck and geese accompanied by the deliciously strong red wine Cahors.
Cahors, about 100 km West of Figeac is the other main town. Quercy is a region of southwestern France, roughly between the 2 rivers Dordogne and Lot which are tributaries to the Garonne river. It constitutes the southwestern foothills of the mountainous central France called Massif Central. Although it is not an administrative unit (not a "région" or "département"), I find it convenient to use the term Quercy because it encompasses lands united by their history, geography and food.
As there is not a Quercy category in VirtualTourist, I picked Figeac, a lovely town at the heart of it, to build a page on the whole region.
XenoHumph's Related Pages
Figeac Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quercy: between Lot and Dordogne rivers"
- "Le Pays de Figeac"
- "Fantastic little non-touristy town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Figeac
- 27 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Figeac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Figeac
Photos in FigeacSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houston Intro, 101 reviews, 157 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yunnan Sheng Intro, 63 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Martinique Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos
- Kamchatskaya Oblast' Intro, 31 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 24 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 22 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 34 reviews, 33 photos
- Figeac Intro, 27 reviews, 36 photos