"Caesarea" Top 5 Page for this destination Caesarea by Jackiekg
Caesarea Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 306 photos
Caesarea, a small port city on the Mediterranean coast, was rebuilt by King Herod, who renamed it Caesarea in honor of the Roman emperor. In 6 A.D., Caesarea became the capital of the Roman province of Judea. The city continued to flourish under Byzantine rule. In early 12th century, Caesarea was conquered by the Crusaders; later the city was captured by Mameluk sultan Baybars and destroyed. Now Caesarea is a large archaeological site, with remains from Roman, Byzantine and Crusader periods.
That's its history in a nutshell. Today it is a pleasant, well-planned neighbourhood of mostly private houses. It is, apart from its archaeology well known for its golf course. I have been to this golf course to look around, not to play, it is very expensive to have a game there. I remember a peacock in its grounds and I spent a lot of time just watching it being wooed by a male peacock! Also the Ralli Museum is in Caesarea. (see details and photographs in my travelogue and "must visit" hints).
On the beach is a very nice restaurant where my friends and I had a very nice meal (this was on a visit about a year ago).
This 'mass' of minerals was caused by drips of water from the aquaduct. This is not the same part as the aquaduct above. This part is to be found in Derech Emet Hamayim Street, which is directly opposite several villas.
This photo was taken in the old amphitheatre.
- In a nutshell:Interesting, nice beach and quiet
An archeological park of ancient cisterns. Taking us back to the Roman-Byzantine period. These cisterns were part of a... more travel advice
Jackiekg's Related Pages
Caesarea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Caesarea of Herod the Great"
- "Ancient City Of Caesarea"
- "Ralli Museum"
- "we took a day off and went to caesarea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caesarea
- Hotels in Caesarea
- Transportation in Caesarea
- Nightlife in Caesarea
- Restaurants in Caesarea
- Shopping in Caesarea
- Warnings and Dangers in Caesarea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caesarea
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Caesarea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caesarea
Photos in CaesareaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 51 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Israel 6 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Masada Intro, 4 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bermondsey Intro, 3 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zichron Yaakov Intro, 3 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Haifa District Intro, 2 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Eilat Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tiberias Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Herzliya Intro, 2 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.
Latest Caesarea hotel reviews
- Dan Hotels Caesaria
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013