"Hatzafon..." Haifa District by edvin_br
Haifa District Travel Guide: 1,474 reviews and 5,546 photos
First I'll start with a very common answer that an Israeli traveller will answer you after you ask him where he's going this weekend... he will say: "Im going to the Tzafon". Hatzafon, which means "The North" in Hebrew is the most travelled region in Israel for families and other "light travelers". Of course beside there are also some more difficult tracks for the more experienced travelers.
So if you will be in Israel don't be surprised if you will find yourself one day stuck on a traffic jam (yeah there are even traffic jams...) on your way to one of the great attracions over there.
Altough Haifa Region is not included in the map of the Tzafon in this page I decided to include it (its also easier with the districs provided in the VT about Israel).
It can be said That the beginning is at the Carmel ridge where there are some medium size mountains and hills, from there it passes trough Emeq Izrael valley. In that point it splits to 2 regions - the northern part is the Gallil mountains and in the second direction, the north-eastern located the Sea of Galilee and the Golan. The highest mountian in Israel, the Hermon (2,236 m) is located in the Golan, at the border with Syria.
Beside the beautiful nature in the north there are also some cities and towns that worth a visit:
Hafia- The biggest city in the north (the third largest in Israel). This port city is a gate to the north shore of the Mediterranean. The city is a center of commerce, industry, education and transportation. The Bahai Gardens and the German colony souldn't be missed.
Akko- Mixe cultured city (both Arabs and Jews) located in the mediterranean shore. Akko (also called Acre) has a long history and today you can find a beautiful ancient town center over there.
Tiberias- Located in the western shore of the Sea Of Galilee is the second most popular holiday resort in Israel (second only to Eilat in the south).
Nazareth- The second largest city in the north (second to Haifa). its also a mixeed town with a Arab majority. Considered the Arab capital for Israel's Arab citizens. The city is a center of religion also for the Christianity. According to the New Testament Jesus spent his Chiledhood in Nazareth region. the impressive Church of the Annunciation is located in the city.
Tzefat- Located in the Gallile, its an importent center for Judaism. Tzafat (also called Safed, Tsfat, Zfat) is the highest city in Israel. The city has a long history of cheese producing ("Tzafatit" is a kind of cheese called after it) and there are guided tours in the old factories of "how to make cheese".
Rosh Pinna- A small picturesque town located just below Tzefat. There are many galleries, cafes and museums in the old town.
edvin_br's Related Pages
Haifa District Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Northern area"
- "Galilee-Holy site"
- "Haifa, Galil and Golan"
- "Haifa - A Beautiful City"
- "Mt. Hermon"
- "Camping on the Jordan River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Haifa District
- Hotels in Haifa District
- Transportation in Haifa District
- Nightlife in Haifa District
- Restaurants in Haifa District
- Shopping in Haifa District
- Warnings and Dangers in Haifa District
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Haifa District
- 22 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Haifa District?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haifa District
Top 10 Pages
- Bucharest Intro, 87 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netanya Intro, 77 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 74 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eilat Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 22 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Satu Mare Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Carei Intro, 31 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Haifa Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oradea Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timisoara Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos