Satu Mare Off The Beaten Path Tips by edvin_br
Satu Mare Off The Beaten Path: 3 reviews and 3 photos
Monument in the momory of Satu Mare Jews
The monument is located at the yard of the Great Jewsih Sinagogue in Decebal street. the monument (wrote in Hebrwe, English, Romanian and Hungarian) is in the memory of more then 18,000 jews from Satu Mare and its region that were sent to Auschwitz Birkenau during May-June, 1944 , and there they were killed.
The Great Synagogue, Satu Mare
The Jewish community in Satu Mare region was established in the mid-nineteenth century. The community became larger and was involved in the local social life. All of it made it one of the most widespread and prosperous jewish communities in the region. The "happy" days came to an end in WWII , when Transilvania was under Hungarian rule and most of the regions jews were deported to extermination camp.
Today, there are only 3 synagogues left in the Satu Mare (out of dozen in the past), and only 1 of them is still in use. The Great Synagogue (built in the nintheen twenties) is located at Decebal street, in the middle of the Liberty square and the "new" city center. The impressive Synagosgue is a great examplefor the jewish architecture at the region those times.
The old walkway
In the center of Satu mare, along the Somes river stands a walkway that was built after the big flood that hit the city in 1970 (the rain didnt stoped to fall for about 3 weeks).the inhabitant of the region and lawmens tried to build a wall that will block the water from spread into the city center but it was worthless against the stormy weather and at the end the water coverd a big part of the city and the damage was huge (exact numbers of victims is not clear because in the Communist regime of Ceausescu it was not allowed to publish it).
Today the river is much less raging so the people use the path as a promonade by summer to walk along and relaxing a bit.
More Reviews (21)
edvin_br's Related Pages
Satu Mare Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Satu Mare
- Hotels in Satu Mare
- Transportation in Satu Mare
- Shopping in Satu Mare
- See All...
Explore the World
- Long Branch Hotels
- Kampung Teluk Kemang Hotels
- Skala Oropou
- Mariners Landing Hotels
- Kilcar Hotels
- Niagara-on-the-Lake Off The Beaten Path
- Waterton Lakes National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Saint Louis Off The Beaten Path
- Slovenia Off The Beaten Path
- Mono Lake
- Local Places
- North End
- Pulau Langkawi Off The Beaten Path
- The Lake District: Como, Maggiore, Iseo, Lugano ...
- Louisiana Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Satu Mare
- 24 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Satu Mare?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Satu Mare
Photos in Satu MareSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Bucharest Intro, 87 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netanya Intro, 77 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 74 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eilat Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 22 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Satu Mare Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Carei Intro, 31 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Haifa Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oradea Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timisoara Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (22)
Latest Satu Mare hotel reviews
- 1 Review & Opinion