"Satu Mare - My Hometown" Satu Mare by edvin_br
Satu Mare Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 85 photos
Satu Mare is the city where i was born at a freeze day in the middle of January, 1987. This is not special city for most of the tourists but it is one of the most interesting places on world for me... :))
AS everyone knows, its not an easy task to build a page about your hometown.... maybe its even the hardest... the will to describe your hometown in the most suitable words is very common and its makes it even harder. So in this page I will try to present my hometown Satu Mare, with not much unneeded information but to show the really sppecial facts and sights about it.
Satu Mare is located at the northwest of Romania. Its 600 km away from the capital, Bucharest, 10 km away from the Hungarian border and 30 km away from the Ukraine (it makes it an importent crossroads in Transilvania). It can be easily reached niether by car, road or even a plane (Satu Mare has an internetional airport, but the destinations number is still low).
The popultion of Satu mare is around 115,000 inhabits, with a Romanian majority, Large Hungarian minority and some smaller ethnic groups.
Satu Mare was first mentioned in the 10th century as a fortress called" Zotmar".
later, in the 16th cntury the fortress was destroyed by the Ottomans and then by the Habsburgs, later it was reconstructed by the Austrians, and in 1721 it became a "royal free city".
Satu Mare was prosperous during the 2 world wars under the Romanian regime and iin 1930 it already had 33 banks.
During the WWII the area was under Hungarian fascist rule. Anti-Semitic and anti-Romanian activities were seen daily in Satu Mare. The town was liberated by the Romanian army in 1944, not before more than 18,000 jews of Satu Mare and its region were deported to extermination camps. The war left Satu Mare with a big rip, both socially and economic. The population in 1950 dropped to the numbers of 1930.
It took decades until Satu Mare started to become properous again and after the investments of the communist regime it devaloped quickly. After the collapse of the communisem Satu Mare entered a time of stagnation but in the new Millenium the situation is getting better rapidly in all the way of life (including the tourism) and with some more investment. Satu Mare will become a must see to every traveler!
- Pros:The best taxies in Romania....
- Cons:Located at the end of Romania...
- In a nutshell:Very suprising and friendly place
As many other cities in Romania, Satu Mare also has its own classical theatre. Located just near the old city square, in... more travel advice
The building is located in the historical part of the town was built in 1830. Its passed big transformation at the... more travel advice
edvin_br's Related Pages
Satu Mare Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Satu Mare
- Hotels in Satu Mare
- Transportation in Satu Mare
- Shopping in Satu Mare
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Satu Mare
- 24 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Satu Mare?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Satu Mare
Photos in Satu MareSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Bucharest Intro, 87 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Netanya Intro, 77 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 74 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eilat Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 22 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Satu Mare Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Carei Intro, 31 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Haifa Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oradea Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timisoara Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos