"Udon Thani" Top 5 Page for this destination Udon Thani by jamiesamui

Udon Thani Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 173 photos

The people poor but yet so rich

Udon Thani is 562kms N/E of Bangkok situated in the Isaan region of Thailand.
In January `04 I spent 2 weeks in the Udon Thani area living with a Thai family in their village.

The nearest amphur to the village is a place called Kut Chap which is 30kms outside of Udon Thani & then the village was a further 30kms from there & I can tell you if something would have happened to me a search party would have been flat out finding me.

Udon Thani is not really a tourist destination as in the fact that very little is written in english outside of the major companies EG motorcycle dealerships,and the major department stores & supermarkets,so unless you can speak or read thai fairly well or you have a thai partner you are going to have some level of difficulty.

I didn`t really get to see many of the tourist attractions due to the remotness of the village I was staying.
Life in a rural Thai village is certainly something I will remember for the rest of my life,just observing how these people eek out a living,from their work ethic to their customs made this a truly amazing experience.

I stayed with my (now ex)girlfriends family and these people and their neighbours made me feel so very welcome and in fact they couldn`t do enough for me and it was very touching to see how these people accepted a "farang"but having said that it was a novelty for some of the neighbours & anybody who passed by while I was out the front of the house.

The family house was surprisingly modern & western to some of the others in the village & surrounding areas & actually wouldn`t take that much to make it liveable for a farang.

This was one experience that I will never forget.(see travelogue for pic`s)

• Pros:The beautiful people in their natural surroundings
  • Cons:Very little written in english for farangs
  • In a nutshell:The best experience of my life
  • Last visit to Udon Thani: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 25, 2006

jamiesamui

“If life hands you a lemon ask for some tequila & salt”

Badges & Stats in Udon Thani

Have you been to Udon Thani?

Latest Activity in Udon Thani