"Udon Thani" Top 5 Page for this destination Udon Thani by jamiesamui
Udon Thani Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 181 photos
Udon Thani is 562kms N/E of Bangkok situated in the Isaan region of Thailand.
In January `04 I spent 2 weeks in the Udon Thani area living with a Thai family in their village.
The nearest amphur to the village is a place called Kut Chap which is 30kms outside of Udon Thani & then the village was a further 30kms from there & I can tell you if something would have happened to me a search party would have been flat out finding me.
Udon Thani is not really a tourist destination as in the fact that very little is written in english outside of the major companies EG motorcycle dealerships,and the major department stores & supermarkets,so unless you can speak or read thai fairly well or you have a thai partner you are going to have some level of difficulty.
I didn`t really get to see many of the tourist attractions due to the remotness of the village I was staying.
Life in a rural Thai village is certainly something I will remember for the rest of my life,just observing how these people eek out a living,from their work ethic to their customs made this a truly amazing experience.
I stayed with my (now ex)girlfriends family and these people and their neighbours made me feel so very welcome and in fact they couldn`t do enough for me and it was very touching to see how these people accepted a "farang"but having said that it was a novelty for some of the neighbours & anybody who passed by while I was out the front of the house.
The family house was surprisingly modern & western to some of the others in the village & surrounding areas & actually wouldn`t take that much to make it liveable for a farang.
This was one experience that I will never forget.(see travelogue for pic`s)
- Pros:The beautiful people in their natural surroundings
- Cons:Very little written in english for farangs
- In a nutshell:The best experience of my life
The facilities her are very modern and comfortable. There are 250 rooms with individual A/C thermostat control,direct... more travel advice
jamiesamui's Related Pages
Udon Thani Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Udonthani,modern city with feeling of old time"
- "World's Most Elaborate Truck Stop"
- "Visit Ban Chiang from Udon Thani"
- "Udon Thani"
- "Ever Bustling Udon Thani"
- "An Afternoon in Udon Thani..."
- "Udon Thani Thailand (Issan)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Udon Thani
- Hotels in Udon Thani
- Transportation in Udon Thani
- Nightlife in Udon Thani
- Restaurants in Udon Thani
- Shopping in Udon Thani
- Warnings and Dangers in Udon Thani
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Udon Thani
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Udon Thani?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Udon Thani
Photos in Udon ThaniSee All Photos (9)
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Samui Intro, 47 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cebu City Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Pattaya Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udon Thani Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gold Coast Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos