"SKIING AT LAS LENAS (Las Leñas)" Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Mendoza by Frisbeeace
Provincia de Mendoza Travel Guide: 570 reviews and 1,417 photos
Since Las Lenas is not featured as a location in VT I had to use the Province of Mendoza page to include my recent trip to this world famous ski resort.
Mendoza is one of the most beautiful provinces on the Andes and well known for its world class wines.
Las Lenas is located approximately 450 kms south of Mendoza city and 215 kms west of San Rafael, the second largest city in the province.
This ski resort was founded in 1983 in a location that would grant perfect snow conditions during the wintertime. Despite that this didn't turn up to be so accurate, this area is definitely the one that has the most snowfall accumulation among all Argentine ski resorts of about 250 inches. The season runs from mid-June to mid-October.
Las Lenas has more lift-serviced ski terrain than any other ski area in the southern hemisphere. It has a vertical of just under 4,000 feet. There are over 40 miles of trails and over half a million acres of off-piste skiing. Las Lenas is above the tree line, so there is plenty of large open bowls and long steep chutes. The mountain is divided into lower and upper sections. A total of 12 lifts, including one quad, six doubles, and five surface, can carry over 9,200 skiers per hour.
It is not a specially beautiful place considering that it has no trees, no birds, no lakes but just massive mountains whose slopesides are usually packed with snow. The base is at 2.300 meters and the highest point you can ski is at 3.350 mts.
Las Lenas has no private homes but 5 hotels and appartment buildings. The design of the town and its modern pyramid-style architecture are not attractive.
2003 began with little snow so far and we were lucky enough to ski for 5 days with good snow at the upper trails. You can tell by the pictures that the place had little snow at the base area. Many times our ski resorts struggle with little snowfall even a few days before the high season begins by mid-July. So, always check the "real" snow conditions (don't trust official Internet homepages...) before confirming your ski trip.
- Pros:Great ski
- Cons:Not a charming mountain village
- In a nutshell:For true skiers
This new 4-star hotel is theorically the best hotel in town. I stayed there for a night and was pleased with the... more travel advice
There are 4 ways to arrive in Las Lenas: 1. Take a plane to San Rafael and then a shuttle to travel the 215 kms (135... more travel advice
Frisbeeace's Related Pages
Provincia de Mendoza Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awesome Mendoza!"
- "Mendoza - Tierra del Sol y del buen vino :-)"
- "SKIING AT LAS LENAS (Las Leñas)"
- "SCL to Mendoza by Bus - Great Nature Cinema"
- "Argentina TL 2004/2005 - Part 2 (Dec24 ff)"
- "My favourite places in Mendoza!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincia de Mendoza
- Hotels in Provincia de Mendoza
- Transportation in Provincia de Mendoza
- Nightlife in Provincia de Mendoza
- Restaurants in Provincia de Mendoza
- Shopping in Provincia de Mendoza
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincia de Mendoza
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincia de Mendoza
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Provincia de Mendoza?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincia de Mendoza
Photos in Provincia de MendozaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 49 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos
- Madrid Intro, 36 reviews, 39 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 37 reviews, 35 photos
- Prague Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos
- Curaçao Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Punta del Este Intro, 19 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tangier Intro, 14 reviews, 12 photos
- Venice Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Orlando Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
No friends yet.