"Lake Chelan" Chelan by XxGulliverxX

Chelan Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 35 photos

Lake Chelan is my favorite place in the world. The nicest thing about is that I live in Oso which is just across the mountains on Highway 2. I've been there probably upwards of 10 times, and I like it more every year. There's so much to do: boating (if you have or rent one), snow-skiing or snow-mobiling in the Winter, go to the water park, shopping in the beautiful town, hiking, hang gliding, biking, fishing, golfing, rafting, horseback riding, swimming, and much more. There's an ample selection of places to stay there - Campbell's Resort, Wapato Point, Best Western, the Caravel, etc. I have stayed in all of those places except for the Caravel, but I can tell you my favorite was by far Wapato Point. It's a sizeable resort at the end of town and it's probably where the majority of people visiting Lake Chelan stay. It's not too crowded - if you want to get away from it all, it's easy to do in Wapato Point. But I like it so much because it's easy to get connected with people from all over; it's the place to stay in Chelan and it's nice to meet new people from all around. The atmosphere is very relaxed and casual; no hustle and bustle here. There's also quite a bit to do inside the resort. You could swim out to one of the docks, you could rent a bicycle or other equipment from the kiosk, take a scenic walk around the point, rent a movie or video/board games from the video library, eat at the restaurant, and much more. I'm probably partial to Wapato Point because our family used to go there every year for many years. I plan to go back in a few months, this time with some friends and find out whether it's more fun to go with friends or family. I like it more every time I go... I discover new places, activities and people. I like to walk out to the tip of the Point and just think; I've never seen anyone else out there. Granted, it's a miniscule area compared to the rest of the resort but I like to hang out there for a few minutes every time I go there just the same. If you're coming to the Lake, I would recommend stopping in Leavenworth and seeing the Bavarian themed city and maybe spending a few bucks in one of the interesting novelty shops. I would also recommend the water park SlideWaters, Stehekin, the Lady of the Lake boat rides, and come into town check out the shops they have there. I'm one to do as much as I can in one day. It's nice to relax, but I can't stand walking by the neighboring condo 5 times in a day and seeing the current residents watching TV inside every single time while it's 90 degrees and the rest of the world is out on the water or doing something that you actually CAN'T do at home. I mean, you can do whatever you want - I have no power over you and even if somehow I did I wouldn't enforce how much fun you had to have. It's just an inspiration to me to do as much as I can with the few precious days out of the year that I can truly relax. I would highly recommend visiting the Lake; I know I've had tons of great times there and brought back lots of good memories. Check out the following websites for maps and more information:

• Pros:Weather, Surroundings, Activities, People, etc."
  • Cons:Size of town
  • In a nutshell:Unbelievable for travelers on a budget
  • Last visit to Chelan: Jul 2002
  • Intro Written Apr 7, 2003

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.