"Limbourgeois at its best" Top 5 Page for this destination Maastricht by Imaniac

Maastricht Travel Guide: 1,269 reviews and 3,261 photos

History of the City

Maastricht is the oldest city in The Netherlands (together with Nijmegen). After some prehistoric settlements, it was first made into a real city by the Romans. They created a city called Mosae Trajectum at the spot where their main road and the river Maas crossed paths. Ever since Maastricht has been an important city.

After the Romans left, Maastricht was mainly an important city for the Christians. St Servatius moved to Maastricht in the 4th century and became a bisshop there. Shortly after his death in 384, a church was built on top of his grave. This was the start of Maastricht as we know it.

In the Middle Ages, Maastricht has been under control of the Spanish and the French, amongst others. To protect themselves against more attacks, the people of Maastricht erected several city walls and other defense systems like the casemates. These monuments can still be seen today.

Then in the 19th century Maastricht also had a blossoming industrial life, especially the ceramics, glass and paper industry.

In 1992 Maastricht put itself on the map once again with the birth of the Euro. The city was the host of several meetings of the European Union. This was also where the famous Maastricht Treaty was created. In July 2004, shortly after the new EU members are inaugrated, Maastricht will once again be the host of numerous EU events.

• Last visit to Maastricht: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 22, 2005

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2009 at 7:19 AM

Roy, Tor morgen. Ik kom alleen en niet te lang. PJ

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Great tips and photos! I will be visiting Maastricht in May -- and your page will help me plan my sightseeing. Best from New Jersey, Bill

• Jul 29, 2007 at 6:38 AM

Hello, im french and i lost my phone in Mississipi but i cant go back again ( too expensive :) ). Somebody knows the Mississipi's number phone ? ( my phone is off and they dont ask at all my letters ). But this, Mississipi is a good coffee. Thank you, Bye

• Jun 7, 2007 at 7:33 PM

This coffeeshop has been closed, I think the police closed it... not sure though. But I am sure that is closed because I've been here for over a month and it ever since I've been here it has had the police lines and this dutch letter on the door.

• la_beba's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2005 at 1:46 PM

oh dang it!!! did you miss me!!?? was it a blast though!? Nice to see pics, tx Roy!

• Libi73's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2005 at 1:59 AM

Too bad I couldn't join you. Maybe next time.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2005 at 10:09 AM

Roy, brilliant photos...a pity I missed this great meeting...hey, sometimes it would be helpful to also write the VT names of the people, not only real names ... :o)

• IceBear7's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2005 at 12:26 PM

nice photos :-) but normally my parents are the only people calling me stefanie hahahahaha

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2005 at 7:40 AM

Roy, leuk om al die foto's te zien van de VT meeting. See you next week in Emmen !

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2005 at 8:17 AM

Your new posts are great!! I find them very helpful

Imaniac

“Forever Endeavour”

Badges & Stats in Maastricht

Have you been to Maastricht?

Latest Activity in Maastricht