"Limbourgeois at its best" Top 5 Page for this destination Maastricht by Imaniac
Maastricht Travel Guide: 1,267 reviews and 3,255 photos
Maastricht is the oldest city in The Netherlands (together with Nijmegen). After some prehistoric settlements, it was first made into a real city by the Romans. They created a city called Mosae Trajectum at the spot where their main road and the river Maas crossed paths. Ever since Maastricht has been an important city.
After the Romans left, Maastricht was mainly an important city for the Christians. St Servatius moved to Maastricht in the 4th century and became a bisshop there. Shortly after his death in 384, a church was built on top of his grave. This was the start of Maastricht as we know it.
In the Middle Ages, Maastricht has been under control of the Spanish and the French, amongst others. To protect themselves against more attacks, the people of Maastricht erected several city walls and other defense systems like the casemates. These monuments can still be seen today.
Then in the 19th century Maastricht also had a blossoming industrial life, especially the ceramics, glass and paper industry.
In 1992 Maastricht put itself on the map once again with the birth of the Euro. The city was the host of several meetings of the European Union. This was also where the famous Maastricht Treaty was created. In July 2004, shortly after the new EU members are inaugrated, Maastricht will once again be the host of numerous EU events.
In Den Ouden Vogelstruys is the oldest pub in Maastricht that still serves to this day. Literally translated it means... more travel advice
Although the Vrijthof is probably the most famous square in Maastricht, the Onze Lieve Vrouwe Plein is probably the... more travel advice
Imaniac's Related Pages
Maastricht Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maastricht: Where life is Good!"
- "Limbourgeois at its best"
- "Maastricht -- beautiful city on the Maas"
- "Not At All What I'd Expected!"
- "The Netherlands’ Deep South"
- "Enjoying the Burgundian Lifestyle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maastricht
- Hotels in Maastricht
- Transportation in Maastricht
- Nightlife in Maastricht
- Restaurants in Maastricht
- Shopping in Maastricht
- Warnings and Dangers in Maastricht
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maastricht
- 85 Reviews
- 128 Photos
- 40 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Maastricht?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maastricht
Photos in MaastrichtSee All Photos (128)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maastricht Intro, 85 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 65 reviews, 68 photos
- Brussels Intro, 25 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 22 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Antwerp Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Aachen Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 7 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos