"Abbotsford" Abbotsford by nebulaflash
Abbotsford Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 38 photos
Before European contact the area now known as the City of Abbotsford was inhabited by the Matsqui and Sumas bands of the Sto:lo people. A man known as Old Bovey remembers seeing the "White man with a lot of hair on his face" around 1808. This was Simon Fraser's men who came sailing down the river now called the Fraser. One of the first Europeans to settle were the Maclure family who came to B.C. in 1858 and Abbotsford in '68. One of the Maclure children named Abbotsford after Harry Abbott - the General Superintendent of the Western Division of Canadian Pacific Railway, after they promised to bring the railway through. Abbotsford became more economically prosperous when the Abbotsford Lumber Company was established on a small lake now known as Mill Lake. In 1908 the mill was sold to Arthur and Joseph Trethewey - the latter built Trethewey House close to the lake in 1920. This house is now under the care of M.S.A. Museum (www.abbotsford.net/msamuseum). Before Abbotsford became a city and incorporated Matsqui (meaning in the language of the Sto:lo "a stretch of higher land") and Sumas ("big level opening") areas under its jurisdiction, this area was known as Matsqui-Sumas-Abbotsford. Quite a mouthful eh?
(This history was found in the archives of M.S.A. Museum and the photograph is from their website. Permission received from the Museum to insert here.)
- Pros:beautiful mountains are all around us
- In a nutshell:thanks to M.S.A. Museum - the memory of our community
Eagle Mountain trail is hidden between the big houses up on Eagle Mountain, and the housing estates around Old Yale... more travel advice
The little kitchen produces some wonderful home-made soups, quiche, desserts, fresh coffee and 60 different teas. The... more travel advice
nebulaflash's Related Pages
Abbotsford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Abbotsford International Airshow (2002)"
- "Abbotsford,BC Canada"
- "Abbey Snapshots"
- "Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canada"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Abbotsford
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Abbotsford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Abbotsford
Photos in AbbotsfordSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Abbotsford Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Port McNeill Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marlow Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Oliver Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Stellenbosch Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Oregon Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Agassiz Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Vancouver Island Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Northampton Intro, 1 review, 4 photos