"My KL Pronounced 'Kay-Ell'" Kuala Lumpur by city_guy
Kuala Lumpur Travel Guide: 5,996 reviews and 13,514 photos
KUALA LUMPUR*, meaning a muddy confluence, had its origins as a shanty mining outpost for the tin trade in the 1800's at the confluence of the Gombak and Klang River.
Today, KL as it is popularly known, is a bustling metropolis, the federal capital of Malaysia and is the principal centre of commerce, politics, entertainment and international activities.
The site of the original settlement draws a steady stream of tourist, largely to the adjacent Sultan Abdul Samad Building and the Merdeka Square where the British flag was lowered for the last time on midnight August 31, 1957 and replaced by the new Malaysian flag.
The city's skyline is rapidly changing and presently boasts of the world's tallest twin towers*, the magnificent Petronas Twin Towers standing at 451.9 meters as well as the KL Tower, the world's fourth tallest standing at 421 meters.
Modern transportation that include the Light Rail Transit (LRT) system and a Rapid Transit monorail system, recently opened, mean getting around is a breeze. However, despite its transformation into an ultra-modern city, KL still retains its old world charm depicted in the majestic buildings of the colonial era, quaint pre-war shophouses and the way business is conducted.
More conspicuous is its 'Garden City' ambience, apparent the moment one lands in the city. At night, the streets adorned with lit trees and decorative shrubs, as well as the buildings are colourfully lit to give the city a unique dazzle.
The Lake Gardens, home to the Hibicus and Orchid Gardens as well as the Bird, Deer and Butterfly Parks, just one of KL's many delights. For a sojourn in antiquity, the National Museum is a must but there are other museums with specific themes as well.
The city is also an excellent hunting ground for shopping buffs as alaysia is now known as a shoppers paradise. Well-known establishment located along Jalan Bukit Bintang(The Golden Traingle) , Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman and Jalan Ampang as well as Central Market and KL's Chinatown(Petaling Street) tantalise visitors with their sheer variety of products and the lure of attractive prices.
These areas also throb with the excitement of nightlife and evening entertainment. There is local and western theatre, cultural renditions and even night golfing around the city.
A picture of Petaling Street(Chinatown) under renovation. It was recently completed somewhere in June 2003 and now boast of a rain-free, sun-free market. Opening from as early as 8.00am, one will find shopping for many items there fun and interesting.
If you have any questions about KL, please contact me here or email me at: email@example.com and I will try my best to help you.☺
This is what it used to look like a few months ago. The goverment finally decided on taking some steps to beautify this tourist/local attraction and well, it just truned out fine.
Shop for all you dreamed about, branded watches, clothes, sunglasses, movies in DVD/VCD(note these are now under watchful eyes of the authorities), just about all the stuff that cost 10 times more at the malls.
- Pros:So much to see, eat & buy
- Cons:Watch out for the crooked taxi's and.....
- In a nutshell:The city of Everything, Heritage, Culture, Shopping, Food....
My latest visit to Chinatown in 2006. Much more clean and hardly any DVD sellers. Well, most of them are mobile carrying... more travel advice
One of the best around Chinatown, Roast Duck. You will find him in one of the roads in the Chinatown district. If you... more travel advice
- See All KL to Penang Island
- See All Local Chinese Beauties!
- See All Proton 'GEN-2' - Latest Malaysian Made...
- See All Putrajaya Main PM office
city_guy's Related Pages
Kuala Lumpur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kuala Lumpur"
- "Kuala Lumpur - My Home"
- "KL - where the rivers (and all things else) meet."
- "-=Latest & Happening In Town=-"
- "I grew up here!!!"
- "JALAN BUKIT BINTANG"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuala Lumpur
- Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
- Transportation in Kuala Lumpur
- Nightlife in Kuala Lumpur
- Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
- Shopping in Kuala Lumpur
- Warnings and Dangers in Kuala Lumpur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kuala Lumpur
- 79 Reviews
- 92 Photos
- 225 Forum posts
- 53 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Kuala Lumpur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuala Lumpur
- Posted in Travel Pulau Perhentian Kecil Forum "Re: Accomodation in Perhentian..."
- Wrote a Review KL to Penang Island in Kuala Lumpur Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Chinatown March 2006"
- Commented on one of Kaynisa's Kuala Lumpur travel pages
- updated a Kuala Lumpur Travel Page "My KL Pronounced 'Kay-Ell'"
Photos in Kuala LumpurSee All Photos (92)
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 79 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sunset Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Penang Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Junior Intro, 17 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaling Jaya Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- State of Sarawak Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malaysia Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos