" Sand, Souks, and Saudia" Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia by shelnlin
Saudi Arabia Travel Guide: 2,748 reviews and 6,378 photos
When I was little, I always had an image that Saudi Arabia and the rest of the Middle East was like part of 1001 Nights or Ali Baba and the forty thieves. I even thought that there were magic carpets and it was a mysterious place that seemed so different to my home.
Well in some ways I was right, Saudi was different to New Zealand. But there wasn't any magic carpets, there were carpets but they were not used as a mode of transportation and it even had a restaurant called 1001 nights at the Rashid Mall in Al Khubar.
Saudi Arabia is a place which is a little cut off from the rest of the world. There is no tourism here and its really sad that everyone cannot jump on a plane and come and visit it. It is a place which where east meets west and it is a place I will never forget. Saudi Arabia has a melting pot filled with all sorts of interesting cultures and it wouldn't be uncommon to share your compound/apartment building with a mixture of different people.
Saudi Arabia has suffered its fair share of flak over the years and it is a shame that alot of people down trod on it. There are good and bad things to say about this place but I mean which country in the world is considered 'good'?
The people of Saudi Arabia are some of the most hospitable I have ever met. They are generous people who will do anything to make you feel welcome and they are terrific hosts. They are giving and at the same time humble. I loved their kindness and their enquiring minds.
I hope these pages give you, the reader a glimpse into what was my home for two years and I hope you enjoy reading the little things that they often never cover on the news. I will continue to add more to this page as there is still heaps for me to write about this place even though I have now. For a bit more information on the Eastern province of Saudi Arabia, have a look at my Al Khubar pages.
"When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable" `Clifton Fadiman.
- Pros:Great shopping, Friendly communities, Something different
- Cons:Prayer times, Shop Opening Hours, Mad drivers
- In a nutshell:It is not as bad as it sound's
YouTube is a great wee site where we can watch videos and see things from around the world. This little documentary was... more travel advice
You must see the people in Ssudi Arabia. They are a very hospitable bunch of people and sometimes while I was in... more travel advice
- I am often asked....
- See All Just a little quote I thought was...
- See All This is off the Beaten Path...
shelnlin's Related Pages
Saudi Arabia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "1001 Arabian Nights ...."
- "Saudia: my perplexed obession"
- "Al-Mamlaka al-Arabiya as-Saudiya"
- "Home is where the heart is"
- " Sand, Souks, and Saudia"
- "redeagle's new Saudi Arabia Page"
- "welcome to Saudi Arabia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saudi Arabia
- Hotels in Saudi Arabia
- Transportation in Saudi Arabia
- Nightlife in Saudi Arabia
- Restaurants in Saudi Arabia
- Shopping in Saudi Arabia
- Warnings and Dangers in Saudi Arabia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saudi Arabia
- 30 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Saudi Arabia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saudi Arabia
- Posted in Travel Jeju (city) Forum "English Language teaching"
- Commented on one of sunnibeam's Saudi Arabia travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The People"
- updated a Saudi Arabia Travelogue "Well I would never have thought..."
- Wrote a Review I thought this was a lovely video in Saudi Arabia Local Customs
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waikato Intro, 8 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 18 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Al Khubar Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cairo Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pattaya Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Thailand Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Cambridge Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Egypt Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue