"Al Khubar 31952, Eastern Province SAUDI ARABIA" Top 5 Page for this destination Al Khubar by shelnlin
Al Khubar Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 109 photos
Al Khobar has been my home for the last year. Coming from New Zealand to here is a shock to anyone's system especially if you are used to doing things for yourself, going out with whoever you like, having a drink now and then, catching a movie or going out to a show. It just doesn't exist out here.
My first six months out here was pretty non existent, I hardly knew a soul apart from my husband's workmates and one friend who I had made who worked at the local Jarir bookshop. I found the place to be lonely and very much cut off from the rest of the world. I saw the local woman completely blacked out in an outfit called an Abbaya (which I too had to wear but at least I didn't have to cover my face!) and I saw men in White long shirts called thobes and funny teatowel like headresses! I really felt I was stuck in a timewarp or was walking into a modern day version of Lawerence of Arabia and being a Westerner I certainly got a lot of looks. But eventually I settled into the place and made some friends, I am much happier than what I was a year ago. I find this place quite 'peaceful' despite the recent bombings in Riyadh and feel somewhat safe knowing that I could leave my front door open if I wanted to. I go out and I shop more than I usually would (Shopping is perhaps the biggest hobby out here). I go out with friends and often spend time with them. I have to be careful and are always aware of the Muttawas (Religious police). I wear the Abbaya without dread and will miss chucking it on each day when I eventually leave... it's a little black number that can hide a multitude of sins... no I don't think I can see it on next years Paris catwalk somehow! I am grateful for all my friendships that I have made, I have meet a sea of nationalites from Egypt, Yemen, Syria, UK, South Africa, Jordan, and Canada, Australia, India ,Pakistan, even a few from Saudi itself. I have learnt to speak a little bit of the language. I teach English and I have fun doing it and I think that when it is time to go I will miss the Messiah's Salla (Call to prayer) in the early hours of the morning and four times a day after that. It's not all that bad, just have plenty of good friends, a multiple Visa to Bahrain, and plenty of books... oh and a ton of patience.
"By the time we are, in our superior wisdom, decided to make a start, we discover that those who have gone fearlessly on before, have, in their blundering way, traveled a considerable distance. If you start now, you will know a lot next year that you don't know now, and that you will not know next year, if you wait" - The William Feather Magazine.
- Pros:Shopping, The People, A change from the Norm, Sunny almost 95% of the time,
- Cons:Prayer times, Crazy drivers, The heat, Muttawas,
- In a nutshell:More than just a place in the Desert
Arabic is the official language in Saudi Arabia and to help the newcomer get by, it is great if you know a little bit of... more travel advice
Heritage Village is a unique and wonderful restaurant if you want to really feel the full Saudi Arabian atmosphere. This... more travel advice
shelnlin's Related Pages
Al Khubar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Al Khubar 31952, Eastern Province SAUDI ARABIA"
- "Al Khobar - The Saudi ARAMCO City."
- "Al Khobar - City of Shops"
- "Al-Khobar. Whats the deal?"
- "The Eastern City of Leisure. Food and Shopping"
- "My al-Khobar Homepage"
- "Khobar or Khubar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Al Khubar
- Hotels in Al Khubar
- Transportation in Al Khubar
- Nightlife in Al Khubar
- Restaurants in Al Khubar
- Shopping in Al Khubar
- Warnings and Dangers in Al Khubar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Al Khubar
- 11 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Al Khubar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Al Khubar
- Posted in Travel Australia and Oceania Forum "Re: VT Staffer has Request"
- Commented on one of toni28's Al Khubar travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Muesum with flavour"
- updated a Al Khubar Travelogue "Expats... we all need friends"
- Wrote a Review Language to help you get by.... in Al Khubar Local Customs
Photos in Al KhubarSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waikato Intro, 8 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 18 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Al Khubar Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cairo Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pattaya Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Thailand Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Cambridge Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Egypt Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue