"Al Khubar 31952, Eastern Province SAUDI ARABIA" Top 5 Page for this destination Al Khubar by shelnlin

Al Khubar Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 109 photos

AL KHOBAR- MY SAUDI HOME

Al Khobar has been my home for the last year. Coming from New Zealand to here is a shock to anyone's system especially if you are used to doing things for yourself, going out with whoever you like, having a drink now and then, catching a movie or going out to a show. It just doesn't exist out here.

My first six months out here was pretty non existent, I hardly knew a soul apart from my husband's workmates and one friend who I had made who worked at the local Jarir bookshop. I found the place to be lonely and very much cut off from the rest of the world. I saw the local woman completely blacked out in an outfit called an Abbaya (which I too had to wear but at least I didn't have to cover my face!) and I saw men in White long shirts called thobes and funny teatowel like headresses! I really felt I was stuck in a timewarp or was walking into a modern day version of Lawerence of Arabia and being a Westerner I certainly got a lot of looks. But eventually I settled into the place and made some friends, I am much happier than what I was a year ago. I find this place quite 'peaceful' despite the recent bombings in Riyadh and feel somewhat safe knowing that I could leave my front door open if I wanted to. I go out and I shop more than I usually would (Shopping is perhaps the biggest hobby out here). I go out with friends and often spend time with them. I have to be careful and are always aware of the Muttawas (Religious police). I wear the Abbaya without dread and will miss chucking it on each day when I eventually leave... it's a little black number that can hide a multitude of sins... no I don't think I can see it on next years Paris catwalk somehow! I am grateful for all my friendships that I have made, I have meet a sea of nationalites from Egypt, Yemen, Syria, UK, South Africa, Jordan, and Canada, Australia, India ,Pakistan, even a few from Saudi itself. I have learnt to speak a little bit of the language. I teach English and I have fun doing it and I think that when it is time to go I will miss the Messiah's Salla (Call to prayer) in the early hours of the morning and four times a day after that. It's not all that bad, just have plenty of good friends, a multiple Visa to Bahrain, and plenty of books... oh and a ton of patience.

"By the time we are, in our superior wisdom, decided to make a start, we discover that those who have gone fearlessly on before, have, in their blundering way, traveled a considerable distance. If you start now, you will know a lot next year that you don't know now, and that you will not know next year, if you wait" - The William Feather Magazine.

• Pros:Shopping, The People, A change from the Norm, Sunny almost 95% of the time,
  • Cons:Prayer times, Crazy drivers, The heat, Muttawas,
  • In a nutshell:More than just a place in the Desert
  • Last visit to Al Khubar: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 15, 2006

• Apr 25, 2009 at 3:15 AM

Dear Shelnlin, Thank you very much for information about Dorra suites. I wanted to ask you, do you have any idea about the annual rates of 1 bedroom and 2 bedrooms furnished apartments ?? Thanks in advance for your help.

• Oct 20, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Oh how much this makes sense to me now I'm here at last ! I'm making more of your posts as they are pretty spot on. Kathy

• Shobaki's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2008 at 8:15 AM

Hi shelnlin , I visited last weekend it !! Waw , its very cool palce , I Like it ! Shokran for your suggestion

• adeeltahir's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2007 at 6:27 AM

I really enjoyed the information on the page. I also have spent 7 Ramadan days in Saudi Arab. Your arabic words with translation are very fascinating. I really enjoyed. Have a nice day.

• Marcin75's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2007 at 8:57 AM

Very interesting and informative.

• Nov 14, 2006 at 5:19 PM

hi your comments on this desert town is fantastic and very interesting. I am new here too working for aramco and looking forward for more pages from you cheers david

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2006 at 2:21 AM

Excellent insight into a totally different culture to my own! Well written, interesting & entertaining! Blu

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2006 at 10:26 PM

interesting place and page. would like to have some of the warmth right now, for a while anyway :-)but I feel warned .. thanx for the good read

• May 6, 2006 at 2:31 AM

buenos dias darling shelly...haven´t heard from you in a while...wishing you´re doing great....salam to you from spain, oh that is ´´paz´´ in espanol,lol

• Feb 19, 2006 at 6:22 AM

Hi Shelnlin thank you for the excellent pages, your writing is helpful and is greatly appreciated. Abe

shelnlin Used To Live Here!

shelnlin

“"A traveller without observation is a bird without wings"- Moslih Eddin Saadi”

Badges & Stats in Al Khubar

Have you been to Al Khubar?