"Shell's World" shelnlin's Profile

Facebook brought me back....

Hey everyone!

I have been away from this wee community for sometime now but even though I havent been on here. Virtual Tourist still runs wild in my veins and whether that is a catch up with friends that I have befriended on here or people that I have met on my travels. All and all I know that Virtual Tourist was the very first site where I started my adventures and where I have come to meet some amazing and great people along the way.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting up with another New Zealander like me who is part of VT. Angiebabe and I had so much to talk about that we are hoping to do it all again soon. I had spotted her on our VirtualTourist page on Facebook and thought, "hey she seems really interesting" and pretty soon I was telling her about me and she was telling me about her and it turns out she grew up in the same place my Dad did and knew where my grandparents lived etc... It sure is a small world at times .

And then this time last year a friend I had met on here years ago when I lived in Saudi Arabia tells me that he was coming over for a visit with his new wife. Kado and I had been friends for years on here and yet we never had the chance to meet whilst I was in the Kingdom but kept in touch via our Saudi Arabia forum. Osama (his real name) and I warmly embraced when we met and then I met his wife who I instantly liked. She was impressed how much Arabic I spoke and we spent the afternoon catching up on lots of stories, fun and laughter just the same way I did with Angela (Angiebabe).

I know that its been sometime since I have come on here and most of it is due to my life. Things take many twists and turns we are unprepared for that sadly VT has taken a backseat for awhile. In the time I have been away I have dealt with many of lifes little things. Some were good and some were bad, some I lost and some I won but I still came out smiling at the other end. But all in all, these experiences have taught me so much about who I am and what I am doing with my life. When my dear parents got sick a few years ago, it made me realise how lucky my siblings and I were that we still had each other and were very close to one another and had good friendships between us. Although we are still relatively young in the scheme of things we knew our parents days could be limited. But they were determined to get better and we are so happy that both are still here today. Mum had breast cancer and Dad had bleeding ulcers.. not nice for two people who havent reached 60 yet but it can happen at any time.

So this year its been 10 years since I was newbie on here and now that I have caught up with a few VT'ers I should really look at contributing again when I can to this little site. My dearest friend Abbas who I met on here, isnt in here so much now. He and I still have that strong friendship between us and wish that others could have the same positive outlook for other Christians and Muslims.

I just want to say thank you to the people who created VT, to the friends I have made and the new friends that I come in contact with now. I look forward to hearing all your adventures and I hope in time I can contribute as much as I did I first started out and share with you my own journey.

Happy travels and stay safe.
Shell

I love this story....

One day a teacher asked her students to list the names of the other students
in the room on two sheets of paper, leaving a space between each name.
Then she told them to think of the nicest thing they could say about each of
their classmates and write it down.
It took the remainder of the class period to finish their assignment and, as
the students left the room, each one handed in the papers.
That Saturday, the teacher wrote down the name of each student on a
separate sheet of paper, and listed what everyone else had
said about that individual.
On Monday, she gave each student his or her list.
Before long, the entire class was smiling. "Really?" she heard whispered.
"I never knew that I meant anything to anyone!" and, "I didn't know others
liked me so much." were some of the comments.
No one ever mentioned those papers in class again.
She never knew if they discussed them after class or with their parents,
but it didn't matter. The exercise had accomplished its purpose. The
students were happy with themselves and one another.
That group of students moved on. Several years later, one of the students was
killed in Vietnam and his teacher attended the funeral of that special student.
She had never seen a serviceman in a military coffin before. He
looked so handsome, so mature. The church was packed with his friends. One by
one, those who loved him took a last walk by the coffin. The teacher was the
last one to bless the coffin. As she stood there, one of the soldiers, who acted
as pallbearer, came up to her. "Were you Mark's math teacher?" he asked.
She nodded: "Yes." Then he said: "Mark talked about you a lot."
After the funeral, most of Mark's former classmates went together to a
luncheon. Mark's mother and father were there, obviously waiting to
speak with his teacher.
"We want to show you something," his father said, taking a wallet out of his
pocket. "They found this on Mark when he was killed. We thought you might
recognize it." Opening the billfold, he carefully removed two worn pieces of
notepaper that had obviously been taped, folded and refolded many
times. The teacher knew, without looking, that the papers were the ones on which she
had listed all the good things each of Mark's classmates had said about him.
"Thank you so much for doing that," Mark's mother said. "As you can see, Mark treasured it."
All of Mark's former classmates started to gatheraround.
Charlie smiled rather sheepishly and said, "I still have my list.
It's in the top drawer of my desk at home."
Chuck's wife said, "Chuck asked me to put his in our wedding album."
"I have mine too," Marilyn said. "It's in my diary."
Then Vickie, another classmate, reached into her pocketbook, took
out her wallet and showed her worn and frazzled list to
the group. "I carry this with me at all times," Vickie said, and without
batting an eyelash, she continued:
"I think we all saved our lists."
That's when the teacher finally sat down and cried. She cried for Mark and
for all his friends who would never see him again.
The density of people in society is so thick that we forget that life will
end one day, and we don't know when that one day will be.
So please, tell the people you love and care for, that they are
special and important. Tell them, before it is too late.

WARNING TO ALL

It has come to my attention that there have been very insulting emails being sent out to various Virtual Tourist members about their homepages and travel pages. I would like to stress to everyone who comes into my Homepage that this is a Travel website not a Political one and that it should be treated as such not one that is going to stir up a Political debate on who is right and who is wrong in this world. Each member is entitled to their own opinion and we should be sensitive enough to understand that no two opinions are going to be excatly the same. This website is designed to be unbiased and can be used as a guide when travellers want to go out and see the world. If, for whatever reason something really does hurt someone in the webpage they are viewing, the best thing is to look at another site and understand that this is that members opinion. I do not want to ruffle anyones feathers so to speak, I want everyone to understand that we are here to help one another not hinder one another. If you don't like it, get out of it and find another website that allows you to stress your frustrations.

This website of mine is protected by copyright. You may print out individual articles or pages for your private use but no form of distribution or making avaliable to the public (whether in print or electronic form) of any of this website's content is permitted without my permission and consent first.

Take care everyone and remember to respect and tolerate one another.

Food for thought...

I love Poetry and Quotes so I have include some of the nicest ones that I have enjoyed and have been inspired by. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I have, I like the way the can motivate or move a person and these are just some of my favourite ones...

"Often people attempt to live their lives backwards; they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want, so they will be happier. The way it actually works is the reverse. You must first be who you really are, then do what you need to do, in order to have what you want".

~Margaret Young

Have you ever thought about.....

"Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling five balls in the air. You name them - work, family, health, friends, and spirit - and you're keeping all of these in the air. You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. But the other four balls - family, health, friends, and spirit are made of glass. If you drop one of these, they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged, or even shattered. They will never be the same. You must understand that and strive for balance in your life."

~Brian Dyson, CEO of Coca Cola Enterprises from 1959-1994.

So consider this...

"Ful wys is he that can himselven knowe!"
(Very wise is he that can know himself).

~Chaucer

Friendship

Each of us has a hidden place
Somewhere deep within ourselves;
A place where we go to get away,
To think things through,
To be alone, to be ourselves.

This unique place, where we confront our deepest feelings,
Becomes a storehouse of all our hopes,
All our needs, all our dreams,
And even our unspoken fears.
It encompasses the essence of who we are and what we want to be.

But now and then, whether by chance or design,
Someone discovers a way into that place we thought was ours alone.
And we allow that person to see, to feel and to share
All the reason, all the uncertainty
And all the emotion we've stored up there.

That person adds new perspective to our hidden realm,
Then quietly settles down in his own corner of our special place,
Where a bit of himself will stay forever.

And we call that person a friend.

-Poem by Carol Elaine Faivre-Scott

"To understand the heart and mind of a person, look not at what he has already achieved, but at what he aspires to".

Kahlil Gibran
Lebanese Poet, philosopher, and artist
1883-1931

And this........

"We are all citizens of one world, we are all of one blood. To hate a man because he was born in another country, because he speaks a different language, or because he takes a different view on this subject or that, is a great folly. Desist, I implore you, for we are equally human... Let us but one in end in view, the welfare of humanity"
~Johann Amos Comenius

And maybe this too.........

"Don't seek to live someone elses life;it's just not you... You have no right to put on a false face, to pretend what you are not, unless you want to rob others. Say to yourself: I am going to bring something new into this person's life, because he has never met anyone like me nor will he meet anyone like me, for the mind of God, I am unique and irreplaceable.

~Anonymous

• Intro Updated Feb 17, 2013

May 12, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Hope you had a great time on your birthday!!!

May 11, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Happy birthday matey! hope youve had a lovely special day...what something yum did you find yourself to celebrate with?

May 11, 2014 at 1:19 AM

Happy Birthday Shelly! Wish you a wonderful day!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM

"I love this story" nearly made me cry!

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Happy Birthday, Shelly!

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
      May 21, 2013 at 2:29 AM

I'm fine, thanks. I am on a VT page on Facebook, but I know there are a few of them so I'm not sure which one you mean.

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Hi Mike, excuse the delay in writing this. Sorry I did not know that there were several of them. I am talking about the main VT page on Facebook. I guess that I will have to have a look on there again at some point. I hope that you are well? My studies have kept me away from here for a bit but hopefully after I have finished I will be spreading my wings again.

May 11, 2013 at 4:09 AM

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday and may all your travel dreams come true!!!

May 20, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Thank you dear friend and for the link you sent recently to FB :-) I am off to that bookfair this weekend so will keep my eyes out for another copy of my book for you. Big hugs to you and Piya from me :-)

May 21, 2013 at 5:32 AM

Thanks so much!!!

May 11, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Happy Birthday Shelly! Wish you a great day!

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Do send me a message when you get the chance, its been great to hear from you again! :-)

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Im in the Galapagos Islands right now and fly to main land Ecuador in a few days. It is good to have vaccation again! Nice to see you are back to VT again!

May 11, 2013 at 3:41 AM

wow its your birthday!! happy happy day and weekend and a great year ahead dear Shelly!

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Thanks so much buddy, just got a pm on here today to say that they thought I was naked... eeekk! Ended up having to crop the pic a little bit more. Heavens to Betsy!! ;-) Big hugs 3

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:18 PM

lol never looked naked to me - maybe their glasses need cropping...outwards too lol! anyway nice to hear from you! back in London now since Monday night and needing prayer that the passport application goes through quickly as the Chinese visa still needs doing after that which makes timings tight to get to China for last week of August!

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Hello Shelly! How are you? It is a very long time since I saw you here on VT!

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM

The changes in the forum and email system are new since a few days so this we are all struggling with to understand how it works.

May 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Oops sorry this so late! I hope we can catch up at some point! ;-)

• Usctwin's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Happy birthday, Shelly!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
shelnlin's Profile Photo

shelnlin

“"A traveller without observation is a bird without wings"- Moslih Eddin Saadi”

Real Name