"Cacti and Cappuccinos" Top 5 Page for this destination Oaxaca de Juárez by Marie-France

Oaxaca de Juárez Travel Guide: 381 reviews and 1,042 photos

Nothing but shunshine

Oaxaca is a colonial town located in the mountains about 6 hours by bus to the southeast of Mexico City. Its elevation (1778 m) gives it a dry climate with warm afternoons and cool evenings/mornings.

It's a sizeable city (300 000 inhabitants) and you can wander around on foot to your heart's content, admiring the colonial buildings, markets, and colourful walls and flowers.

I spent a week in Oaxaca and surrounding villages and archeological sites. I did not see a single drop of rain, and very few clouds. I'll be building this page over the next few days...

MAKE SURE YOU COME BACK. I HAVE MUCH MORE TO ADD!!

• Pros:Great climate, good food, and plenty to see and do
  • Cons:Too much traffic especially at rush hour
  • In a nutshell:I might be back here!
  • Last visit to Oaxaca de Juárez: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 7, 2006

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Another terrific little page...what a wonderful find your hotel here seems to have been..I like the idea of Easter in Oaxaca!Great information about the "tourist bus" to Monte Alban...that's really good to know :o)

• cinthya_in_victoria's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2008 at 4:12 PM

I definitely want to go there, its my dad's hometown and the last time I was there I was 5 so, not many memories! Great info, thanks for sharing. Regards from Mexico City!! =D

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2007 at 7:24 PM

Thanks for the great tips; we just came back from Patzcuaro and plan to make Oaxaca our next colonial destination.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2006 at 1:28 PM

How very flowery and colourful! Dark mole is a bit strange, isn't it? I think it's an acquired taste. I don't dislike it, but don't crave it yet either. Trying to keep you in the top 1000, miss. ;-)

• leffe3's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2006 at 8:15 PM

Looks like we did many a similar thing as well as same itinerary - Oaxaca, PE and Mexico City (but we did add Cuernavaca and Tasco on). Brings back memories - and those colours! :)

• Feb 8, 2006 at 7:52 PM

It sounds like it is really nice here! Thank you for sharing. Greetings from Cape Town.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2006 at 10:25 PM

Good page!

• Mandy23's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2006 at 10:08 PM

This city looks like a great place to visit. Maybe I can go back to Mexico one day and explore it.

Marie-France

“Too many places to see, too little time!”

Badges & Stats in Oaxaca de Juárez

Have you been to Oaxaca de Juárez?