"Don't skip over it!" Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay by Marie-France

Uruguay Travel Guide: 1,425 reviews and 3,356 photos

First stop: Colonia

I was in Argentina for 2 months last winter, and decided to spend 10 days in Uruguay.

A three hours ferry ride from Buenos Aires is Colonia, a quaint 17th century colonial town full of history and great food. Many people make it a short day trip from B.A., but Colonia is worth at least two days to really appreciate its peaceful and relaxed atmosphere.

Here are some notes from my travel journal:

"What can I say? Wow! I've already extended my stay until Friday morning!! :-) "

"In a nutshell: the history and charm of Quebec city, the small town feeling of Fussen or Hallstatt, and the climate of central California!"

STAY TUNED. MORE TIPS TO COME...

Montevideo

Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay, is only a few hours away by bus from Colonia. It shares a lot with Buenos Aires, but on a much smaller scale.

Piriapolis and Punta del Este

East of Montevideo, a string of beaches extends all the way to Brazil. These draw crowds of holidaying Uruguayans and Argentinians during the summer. I stopped in Piriapolis for a few days and made a quick side trip to Punta del Este. Piriapolis is a busy family resort, probably similar to what Fort Lauderdale looked like in the seventies, while Punta is an upscale resort with a "French Riviera" feel.

• Pros:Good food, friendly people, short distances
  • Cons:can't think of any...
  • In a nutshell:Worth a few days of exploration
  • Last visit to Uruguay: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 12, 2005

• starship's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Wouldn't mind visiting this country at all. Great hotel tip for the Hotel Colona in Piriapolis, unfortunately the prices have increased considerably.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Ive been in Buenos Aires several times over the years and never quite gotten around to Uruguay, looks nice and calm:)

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2009 at 5:10 AM

Hello Marie-France. South America is a continent I haven't visited yet, so I very much enjoyed reading your tips! Thank you very much for sharing :-) Greetings from Dubai / Jess

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2007 at 7:24 AM

I always thought I'd take an excursion to Uruguay if I was ever in BA. Seems like a nice country. By the way, thanks for checking out my homepage the other day.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2007 at 6:03 AM

Early morning coffee and medialunas in Colonia sounds great - have only been for the day before - maybe we'll spend a night or two there next time we visit BA. leyle

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2007 at 6:36 AM

I'm planning on going to Colonia from BA in a couple weeks....totally forgot about the 'bring a passport' tip even though it's just across the river! Thanks for reminding me!

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 2:43 PM

Lovely description of Uruguay. We've planned 10 days for our visit too, I hope it'll be enough.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2006 at 10:34 AM

A very interesting and helpful page. Great photos!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2006 at 2:45 PM

Nice to see pictures of Colonia in the sunshine. The weather was not so accommodating when I was theree ;-\

• Mar 2, 2006 at 9:12 PM

Great photos and narration - Uruguay is on the list of my future destinations (like I don't have enough already...)

Marie-France

“Too many places to see, too little time!”

Badges & Stats in Uruguay

Have you been to Uruguay?

Latest Activity in Uruguay