"Don't skip over it!" Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay by Marie-France
Uruguay Travel Guide: 1,428 reviews and 3,377 photos
I was in Argentina for 2 months last winter, and decided to spend 10 days in Uruguay.
A three hours ferry ride from Buenos Aires is Colonia, a quaint 17th century colonial town full of history and great food. Many people make it a short day trip from B.A., but Colonia is worth at least two days to really appreciate its peaceful and relaxed atmosphere.
Here are some notes from my travel journal:
"What can I say? Wow! I've already extended my stay until Friday morning!! :-) "
"In a nutshell: the history and charm of Quebec city, the small town feeling of Fussen or Hallstatt, and the climate of central California!"
STAY TUNED. MORE TIPS TO COME...
Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay, is only a few hours away by bus from Colonia. It shares a lot with Buenos Aires, but on a much smaller scale.
East of Montevideo, a string of beaches extends all the way to Brazil. These draw crowds of holidaying Uruguayans and Argentinians during the summer. I stopped in Piriapolis for a few days and made a quick side trip to Punta del Este. Piriapolis is a busy family resort, probably similar to what Fort Lauderdale looked like in the seventies, while Punta is an upscale resort with a "French Riviera" feel.
- Pros:Good food, friendly people, short distances
- Cons:can't think of any...
- In a nutshell:Worth a few days of exploration
Colonia's old town is a peninsula jutting out into the Rio de la Plata, so it has water on every side but one! Walk... more travel advice
The best way to get to Uruguay from Buenos Aires is by ferry. Buquebus is the company that operates the ferries. The... more travel advice
Marie-France's Related Pages
Uruguay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "unknown URUGUAY"
- "Río de los pájaros Pintados (Painted Birds' River)"
- "URUGUAY .... HERE WE COME...."
- "Gold Coast"
- "Don't skip over it!"
- "One large city and then wide open spaces"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uruguay
- Hotels in Uruguay
- Transportation in Uruguay
- Nightlife in Uruguay
- Restaurants in Uruguay
- Shopping in Uruguay
- Warnings and Dangers in Uruguay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Uruguay
- 12 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Uruguay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uruguay
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oaxaca de Juárez Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan del Sur Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Toronto Intro, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Bled Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Escondido Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue