"The Undiscovered Country" Slovenia by Marie-France
Slovenia Travel Guide: 7,882 reviews and 20,069 photos
Travelling through Slovenia feels like you've been let in on a delightful little secret!
Only a small number of tourists (mostly from the neighbouring countries of Austria, Italy and Croatia), are here enjoying the beautiful landscapes and architecture, friendly people, good food, and affordable prices. All of this in a country half the size of Switzerland. What else can you ask for?
Oh, did I mention that the transportation system is excellent and the country is green, peaceful and squeaky clean?
See my pages on Bled, Bohinj, Ljubljana and Piran for specific tips on those destinations.
Slovenia doesn't use the Euro (at least not yet). Its currency is called the "tolar" (rhymes with "dollar") and is abbreviated SIT.
As of June 2003:
$1 CDN = 150 SIT
$1 US = 202 SIT
1 Euro = 220 SIT
(Missing from the photo are 5000 and 10000 SIT bills.)
* Slovenia is a small country of about 2 million people
* Slovene is a slavic language which has similarities to Croatian and Bulgarian.You can get along with English most of the time although German will be useful in the North and Italian in the South.
Younger people tend to speak more English than older folks.
* Currency: see above
* A small beer (0.2l) costs 200 SIT
* A meal in an average restaurant will be 1500 - 2000 SIT
* Recommended Guidebook: Lonely Planet Slovenia
- Pros:Clean, green, affordable, varied scenery and architecture
- Cons:Can't think of any
- In a nutshell:Europe in miniature
Marie-France's Related Pages
Slovenia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Sunny Side of The Alps"
- "Slovenija, lepa dezela (beautiful country)"
- "Small country of numerous wonders"
- "The Julian Alps"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Slovenia
- Hotels in Slovenia
- Transportation in Slovenia
- Nightlife in Slovenia
- Restaurants in Slovenia
- Shopping in Slovenia
- Warnings and Dangers in Slovenia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Slovenia
- 17 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Slovenia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Slovenia
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oaxaca de Juárez Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uruguay Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan del Sur Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Toronto Intro, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Bled Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Escondido Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (31)
Top Slovenia hotels
- Ljubljana Hotels
- 1958 Reviews - 4376 Photos
- Bled Hotels
- 766 Reviews - 1778 Photos
- Piran Hotels
- 510 Reviews - 1200 Photos
- Kranjska Gora Hotels
- 146 Reviews - 370 Photos
- Maribor Hotels
- 365 Reviews - 905 Photos
- Koper Hotels
- 136 Reviews - 383 Photos
- Portoroz Hotels
- 54 Reviews - 99 Photos
- Ptuj Hotels
- 68 Reviews - 166 Photos
- Most na Soci Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 71 Photos
- Celje Hotels
- 141 Reviews - 380 Photos
- Strunjan Hotels
- 5 Hotels
- Postojna Hotels
- 139 Reviews - 410 Photos
- Izola Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 82 Photos
- Catez ob Savi Hotels
- 4 Hotels
- Bovec Hotels
- 67 Reviews - 232 Photos