"Where you count your days by the sunsets!" Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan del Sur by Marie-France

San Juan del Sur Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 271 photos

San Juan del Sur is on the Pacific side of Nicaragua. So, of course, you can't expect a white sand beach with turquoise water.

What you can expect is a laid back little town with a wide crescent-shaped beach which is great for swimming. Numerous little bars and restaurants line the beach and you can always get a cold beer, fruit shake or a fish dinner.

Apparently, there is a cruiseship that docks here every other week, but I was lucky enough not to see it! On weekdays, the beach is virtually empty. On week-ends, some tourists arrive (mostly Nicaraguans from the city) but there is still plenty of space everywhere.

Update Nov 11, 2004: Well, exactly a year ago I was here. I really miss this place. I met so many friendly people here. It was such a warm and relaxing place. Sigh.

Impromptu VT Meeting

This story is really amusing!

One morning, I had arranged to go on a short hike to a viewpoint with Laura, a girl I met while in San Juan. When she showed up, she said that this French guy from her hostel also wanted to join us.

So the three of us went for a sweaty but interesting walk up the hill, chatted for several hours, came back down, and only then (when Christian recommended that I check out his VT page) did I realize that I had just had a VT meeting without realizing it!!

What are the chances of running into another VT member in a not-so-well-known country such as Nicaragua? May be I should have bought a lottery ticket...

• Pros:Laid back, good food, great sunsets and swimming beach
  • Cons:None
  • In a nutshell:An off-the-beaten-path beach break
  • Last visit to San Juan del Sur: Nov 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 11, 2004

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2008 at 10:18 AM

It is almost 20 years since I visited San Juan del Sur. Next year I want to go to Nicaragua and then I absolutly want to come here again. It is a lovely place!

• Hermanater's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2006 at 6:15 AM

Happy Birthday......it is going on 6 years since I have been there, still miss it...

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2005 at 5:05 PM

Beautiful! Wish I was at the Pelican Eye right now. Thanks so much, bathing suit pics always appreciated. dear Marie ;-p

• BorderHopper's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2005 at 2:32 PM

Marie, Thank you so much for posting up your travel experiences from San Juan del Sur. We're planning on visiting this town in August....and your tips have been very helpful. Happy travels to you!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2005 at 4:17 PM

great tips!

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2004 at 5:46 PM

Hi there again your sunset pictures on this page where great. I enjoyed your tips. Cheers from Labrador :-)

• Mailo's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2004 at 10:08 PM

Me gusto ver tu viaje a Nicaragua, si bajas a México tienes que venir hasta Honduras a ver las ruinas de los antiguos Mayas en Copán. You can't come so close and never get to Copán.

• KristaB's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2004 at 10:24 PM

Real joy to read and view your pictures. What a beautiful place, you clever girl, great vacation on a small budget! (See you again soon?)

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2004 at 6:20 PM

Wow Marie -France this is a very nice page you made , I do not see many pages from Niguaragua, and running into (or running with I should say) a VT member is indeed very rare. Great page Marie -France.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2004 at 4:36 PM

So, what's it like to hike with the famous Christian Lafont? ;-) Good thing u live on the other side of the continent, lol...

Marie-France

“Too many places to see, too little time!”

Badges & Stats in San Juan del Sur

Have you been to San Juan del Sur?

Latest Activity in San Juan del Sur