"Always up for an adventure" Marie-France's Profile

I have now visited all seven continents!

Upcoming trips

Dec 25, 2012 - March 17, 2013: Ecuador & Galapagos

Trips taken in 2012

April 26 - May 10: France (Paris, Metz, Colmar, Strasbourg) & Luxembourg

March 23 - 27: Charlotte, North Carolina

Dec 25 - Feb 29: Hong Kong, Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos, Philippines

Trips taken in 2011

Sept 11 - 25: Portugal (from Porto to Lisbon)

Jan 1 - March 7: Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile

Trips taken in 2010

Oct 18 - 20: Quebec City (Canada)

Sept 15 - 27: Malta (via Zurich)

Jan 28 - April 6 : Panama and Colombia

Trips taken in 2009

Aug 30 - Sept 6: New Mexico, USA (Santa Fe, Taos, Albuquerque)

March 3 - May 25, 2009: Australia (Sydney and the Blue Mountains), New Zealand (all over), Cook Islands, and Japan.

Trips taken in 2008

Nov 8 - 23, 2008: Mexico, again! This was my fourth visit to that country. I visited the state of Michoacan (Morelia, Patzcuaro, Uruapan & volcan Paricutin, Angangueo and the butterfly reserve of El Rosario).

May 8 - 21: A great trip through German-speaking Switzerland and Liguria, Italy. The Cinque-Terre are indeed beautiful.

March 24 - April 6: I travelled independently through Cuba, visiting La Habana, Trinidad, and the Vinales Valley.

The travel bug

I caught the travel bug during my first oversea trip in 1992 and never looked back!

I've travelled to 48 countries so far (including my own) and discovered this web site while doing research for class material (I was teaching a class on budget travel at the Toronto Learning Annex in 2003).

I love talking to other travellers and sharing stories and information. Most of the photos and tips I post on VT are for locations that are a little less known and off the usual beaten tourist path. I hope you enjoy.

Note: All my older pictures are in traditional media (prints and slides) so I haven't built any pages for trips prior to 2003 yet. Maybe one day...

Travels 2007

After being stuck working on some big project all winter, I finally managed to escape. I spent 4 days in San Antonio (Texas, USA) where I stayed with VT member lisa_lise. We had met in Toronto twice previously. I really enjoyed the River Walk, and got my fill of Mexican food.

In May I spent 16 days in Crete (Greece) with a quick stop in Santorini, accompanied by my childhood girlfriend. It was her first trip to Europe! The large island of Crete could be a country of its own. And I only had time to see a fraction of it: Iraklio, Rethymno, Chania, the Samaria Gorge, Paleohora, and a day trip to Elafonisi beach. We had perfect hiking weather, although it was a little cool for the beach.

I took a short break from winter in December 2007 by spending 8 days in Mexico (Zihuatanejo). It was a relaxing vacation with lots of sunshine, sand and sea.

Travels 2006

In January I spent two weeks in Mexico, in order to get away from the bleak Toronto winter. I spent time in both Oaxaca and Puerto Escondido (on the Pacific Coast), starting and ending in Mexico City. Mexico has to be one of the most colourful countries in the world!

At the end of March I spent 4 days in Las Vegas visiting a friend. Actually, half that time was spent hiking in Red Rock Canyon (near LV) and Death Valley. But I managed to spend two afternoons and one evening on the Strip, which is more built up and brighter than on my last trip in 1999. And the traffic seems to have increased too!

In May I spent 16 days in Croatia. I met with a couple of VT members in Zagreb, then proceeded to visit several towns and islands along the coast. Many towns in Croatia have an old section dating back to the middle ages. I had fun walking down car-free narrow alleys to the sound of church bells, and sipping coffee by the oh-so-blue sea under an almost constantly blue sky. :-)

Finally, between Nov 20 and Dec 20, I spent 2 weeks in South Africa (Cape Town, Hermanus & Stellenbosh), followed by 2 weeks in Namibia. This was my first time exploring southern Africa!

Travels 2005

I escaped part of the brutal Toronto winter this year by spending 8 weeks in Argentina, 1.5 week in Uruguay and 1.5 week in Antarctica, for a total of 11 weeks, all in one trip!

Check out my Antarctica page. This was the most amazing trip ever!!

Travels 2004

From May 15 to June 6 this year I travelled in Peru where I met up with my friend Susanne (from Zurich). We had been discussing this trip for a long time. Our itinerary included Lima, Arequipa (+ Colca Canyon), Lake Titicaca and Cusco. We also hiked the famous Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. As they say, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger! :-)

Watch out for some Peru pages coming... eventually.

I also spent 2 days in Quebec City with my cousin in mid-August.

And in late October, I went to New Jersey to meet a friend and we spent a great day in New York City (see travelogues).

Travels 2003

I visited Germany, Slovenia and Italy in Spring 2003. I was especially intrigued by Slovenia because I didn't know anybody who had been there. I was not disappointed! I also participated in my first VT meeting in Ljubljana.

In November 2003, I was in Nicaragua. It was a great trip to a little known destination. The weather was hot (almost too much so!), the people were friendly, everything was cheap and I met more people there than on an average trip. I was rarely alone for dinner. I spent a while in Granada (colourful colonial town), San Juan del Sur (Pacific beach town) and the island of Ometepe (in lake Cocibolca a.k.a. lake Nicaragua).

September: best month to visit Toronto!

I've lived in Toronto since 1988 and September is consistently the BEST MONTH to visit. The weather is generally warm and sunny, never too hot, with cool evenings. The skies are clear and blue (no smog). The leafs start turning colour north of the city in the second half of the month. Kids ar back to school and most tourists are gone so it's a lot quieter and less crowded around tourist sites.

Second choice for best month would be May or October. Summer is good too if you don't mind heat waves and crowds and has the advantage of offering a lot of events and public entertainment, if that's your kind of thing, such as Caribana, music on the harbourfront, food and beer festivals, etc. Expect crowds.

November to March is not so great in the city.

Let me know if you're coming to Toronto and would like more information.

• Intro Updated Sep 15, 2012

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Marie-France's Profile Photo

Marie-France

“Too many places to see, too little time!”

Real Name