"Stories to follow" Top 5 Page for this destination Dogubayazit by chauncenetta
Dogubayazit Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 338 photos
The day before my trip to this town an young Canadian in Van told me he had just returned from there. He seemed a bit shaken. Stated the Noah Ark thing was a big scam and he described Dogubayazit as "a s*#thole of a town", said it was covered in coal dust and at night the streets emptied out making for a creepy scene. Enticing for me to be sure, we left the next day. The drive from Van is spectacular, through mountain passes slick with snow, and the mandatory military checkpoints along the way. I wouldn't describe this town as a "s*#thole". Not at all. It is a peculiar place at a peculiar point on the map in a most peculiar point of history with a peculiar energy, not necessarily unpleasant. Think of Dobugayazit as a Casablanca for the new millenium. I would encourage everyone to go, at the very least for the reason of freaking the ubiquitious Turkish Secret Police.
- Pros:Mt. Ararat, ancient castles, cool people
- Cons:may be difficult to reach during the heavy snow times
- In a nutshell:a must go to
You should at least "see" Mt. Ararat. It took me two trips. The first time there was quite a bit of fog and clouds, so... more travel advice
Finely strange or strangely fine. Slightly Gulag Las Vegas looking. Decent with hot water 24/7. Sort of a businessmen's... more travel advice
chauncenetta's Related Pages
Dogubayazit Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Around Dogubayazit"
- "The kurdish place!"
- "Dogubayazit & Isaak Pasha Serail"
- "Wonderful Ararat"
- "Stories to follow"
- "farest east turkey city,on iran / armenia borders"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dogubayazit
- Hotels in Dogubayazit
- Transportation in Dogubayazit
- Nightlife in Dogubayazit
- Restaurants in Dogubayazit
- Shopping in Dogubayazit
- Warnings and Dangers in Dogubayazit
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dogubayazit
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Dogubayazit?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dogubayazit
Photos in DogubayazitSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Cleveland Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Urgup Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Atotonilco Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Iraq Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oklahoma Intro, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dogubayazit Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Miguel de Allende Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 9 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue