"Virginal" Top 5 Page for this destination Taman Negara by Quero

Taman Negara Travel Guide: 218 reviews and 489 photos

This newly-emerged butterfly has not yet taken its first flight. Its wings display all the glory of nature in its most stunning perfection. It captures the essence of Taman Negara National Park, a remarkably unspoiled wilderness in the heart of Peninsular Malaysia.

The rainforest is estimated to be at least 130,000,000 years old (yes, all those zeros belong there!), perhaps the oldest lowland tropical rainforest in the world. Because of its equatorial location, it was untouched even by the ice age.

Those of us who have had the good fortune to go there and to penetrate even the first few kilometers of the over 4,000 square kilometers of its total extent (seven times the size of Singapore) can consider ourselves favored by providence.

Limited Access

"Taman Negara" literally means "National Park." This protected virgin rainforest straddles three Malaysian states in the Titiwangsa mountain range which is the backbone of Peninsular Malaysia. Access is limited to a few entry points, though multi-day hikes are permitted throughout most of the parkland.

The waters of life

The rivers dictate the rhythms of life in the park as well as in this settlement along the opposite bank of the Tembling River. At the time of this photo, the river was low. Houses and other buildings are constructed either far from the shore above the flood zone or are built on rafts which are moored to the margins and accessed by rickety plank footbridges. At all times of the year, travel to and around the park is undertaken by boat.

• Pros:You can easily spend days far from any agitation.
  • Cons:A very wet place, even in the "dry" season.
  • In a nutshell:The beauty is in the details
  • Last visit to Taman Negara: Feb 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 18, 2003

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2008 at 10:19 PM

Oh my god...leeches and killer monkeys. I think I'll stay home...LOL

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2006 at 12:57 PM

great link, have googled it ;-)))

• Waxbag's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2005 at 10:10 AM

Great information here. I plan on making a visit this year. Thanks!

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2005 at 10:29 PM

Great page, great tips, I'm going there soon so thank God for your tip on the little blood suckers. I will buy hordes of tiger balm before i go!!!

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2004 at 6:57 PM

some lovely pictures and well-written and informative tips! :0)

• mapakettle's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2004 at 4:45 PM

Wow. What a page. I don't know if you have encouraged me to visit, or scared me off...leeches ! Great writing, great pics. Pa (mapakettle)

• dragontml's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2004 at 11:04 PM

thanks, marcia for the walk-through guide to taman negara. is the month of may a good time for a visit ?

• kenyneo's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2004 at 12:01 AM

hey marcia , thanks for the cool Taman Negara page ...arrghh..I will make sure I visit my country's beautiful rain forest ..when I am back to M'sia...I miss so many things !

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2004 at 11:55 AM

Excellent tips on the Taman Negara. I stayed with friends on the Teresek View Village. Lata Berkoh was my favorite place.

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2003 at 6:54 AM

Shoot Marcia, I was hoping to read about crocodiles and pythons on the suspension walks or elsewhere. I guess I'll settle for the beaches and rivers, but still . . .

Quero

“Nessa estrada, não nos cabe conhecer ou ver o que virá. O fim dela, ninguem sabe bem ao certo onde vai dar. --Toquinho”

Badges & Stats in Taman Negara

Have you been to Taman Negara?

Latest Activity in Taman Negara