Kolomna Things to Do Tips by Pablos_new
Kolomna Things to Do: 9 reviews and 9 photos
Town walls and Marinkina Tower
Legend tells us that Marinkina tower was the place of inprisonment of the Polish princess Marina - "great adventuress of the unrest times". She was one of the leaders of Polish invasion in XVII c.
Marina Mnishek (Mniszech) was a wife of False-Dimitrij - a person, called himself "Dimitrij, a son of Ivan the Terrible", a leader of Polish invasion in XVII c. Marina with his son Ivan left Moscow for Kolomna in July, 1611. She lived there as a Tsarina with all apropriate considers. In 1612 her lover, ataman of Cossacks and a famouse bandit, Zarutskiy visited her in Kolomna. There is no exact evidence of what really happened, but he with his troops attacked the town. The tsars palace was burned to smoulder, Pyatnitskie Gates were partially destroyed. Having captured Marina and a lot of treasures Zarutskiy ran away towards Ryazan', and from there to Astrakhan'.
View on walls and town from tower
In July, 1614 ataman Zarutskiy and Marina Mnishek were arrested in Astrakhan' and convoyed to Moscow.
There is a historic evidence that Zarutskiy and 5-years old son of Marina were put to death. But there is no any exact info about fate of Marina herself.
People say she was immured in the corner tower of Kolomna's kremlin. Died there or turned to a magpie and has flown away through small loophole. That is why this tower is called now - Marinka's Tower
Cast-iron wings of Pyatnitskie Gates in the past were decorated with ornaments and bas-reliefs.
Cossacks of Zarutskiy, who attacked town in 1612 and burned a palace, removed havy wings of gates and took them togather with other treasures. Followed by army they could not take it away too far. The legend tells that they stopped 25 versts* at a tract Startsevsky Brod (wade) near the village Bogorodskoe, digged a big delve, hide all treasures and covered them with heavy gates.
For 400 years brave people vainly try to find treasures of Marina Mnishek.
* - 1 verst ~ 4500 ft. - old Russian version of a mile.
In front of the oldest in Russia locomotive plant there is real old steam engine locomotive. Contrary to Hollywood information you cannot find it still operating at Russian railroads. And there is not so many places where you can touch it.
Like in any other Russian town there is a lot of churches. They all are very beatiful and well preserved.
Novo-Golutvin Monastery is situated on the opposit low bank of Moskwa River. There is nice view on it from cathederal square.
If you are lucky to visit Kolomna at a weekend or public holiday there is a chance to meet a group of people from local Club of Historic Fencing.
Members of this club are fond of manufacturing ancients arms and armour. At the kremlin walls you will be able (for free) to try on any armour or handle a weapon. But for each photoshot you will pay some money.
See more photos in a travelogue. Rate here.
Address: Kremlin walls, Marinkina tower
More Reviews (8)
Pablos_new's Related Pages
Kolomna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ancient fortress on south border of Moskovia"
- "Two hours drive will take you to Kolomna"
- "under construction"
- "Good for walking"
- "Kolomna: Industrious and Creative"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kolomna
- Transportation in Kolomna
- Restaurants in Kolomna
- Shopping in Kolomna
- See All...
Explore the World
- Las Galeras
- Montauk Hotels
- Pinaglabanan Hotels
- Province of Palawan Hotels
- Wheatley Hotels
Badges & Stats in Kolomna
- 15 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Kolomna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kolomna
- Posted in Travel Vietnam Forum "Re: Any advice for short trip..."
- Commented on one of musbars's Kolomna travel pages
- Wrote a Review Marinkina Tower in Kolomna Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pyatnitskie Vorota (Fridays Gates)"
- updated a Kolomna Travel Page "Ancient fortress on south border of Moskovia"
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 69 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sochi Intro, 10 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pereslavl'-Zalesskiy Intro, 12 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suzdal' Intro, 22 reviews, 22 photos
- Konstantinovo Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Kolomna Intro, 15 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volgograd Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- Rostov Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Astana Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Dagomys Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos