"Rostov Welikiy" Rostov by Pablos_new
Rostov Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 102 photos
Rostov Welikiy means Rostov the Great. There are two Rostovs in Russia and many of VTers mixed them up (shame on those who live in Russia). Bigger Rostov (about 1 mln people) on the south of Russia is called Rostov-na-Donu (Rostov-on-Don), smaller (less than 50 ths people) is called Rostov the Great. ;-))) That is because small but glorious Rostov is much much elder.
It is known in history starting from VII c. when Ugro-Finnic tribes lived around it and vikings 1 in the person of Kievan Rus princes have not come here yet. Old sagas tell us very interesting facts. Those tribes were rather reach and developed, but they do not have weapons (!), they just simply do not know what is war. When Kievan princes came here they've just said: "How can you defend yourself against anemies? Let us be your kings." And since that time till now-a-days local people pay taxes for police and defence ;-)) LOL!
Nothing left here from that far times. All walls, towers and churches were build up in XVI - XVII c. (i.e. after the Golden Ordo 2 fell).
Rostov is situated just 200 km from the center of Moscow to the north. This relatively short (for Russia) distance makes it convinient place for short weekend trips. (and even "Moscow" VTers meetings).
1 - None can prove that first Russian princes were vikings, but this is settled opinion ;-)
2 - Actually I hold the opinion that Golden Horde was just another name of the country (like Soviet Union) during some period and should be spelled in English like Golden Orda(o). All talk about Mongols is a joke of historians.
- Pros:Beatiful landscapes and architecture
- Cons:Very bad service ;-(
" - Ñäâèíü áðîâè, à òî ìîðäà ó òåáÿ êàêàÿ-òî íå öàðñêàÿ. Îé, çàñûïåìñÿ!" " - Knit your brow! Your muzzle looks not like... more travel advice
Walk along wall galleries. There is not only interesting view from the walls - corner towers appeared to be small... more travel advice
Pablos_new's Related Pages
Rostov Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rostov Welikiy"
- "ROSTOV THE GREAT (Rostov Velikiy)"
- "Aroud a Famous Kremlin"
- "Rostov Velikyi"
- "My Rostov Page"
- "Rostov - Yaroslavski / Veliki"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rostov
- Hotels in Rostov
- Transportation in Rostov
- Nightlife in Rostov
- Restaurants in Rostov
- Shopping in Rostov
- See All...
Explore the World
- Angeles City
- Hawaii (State of)
- Tank Island
- Ixtapa Hotels
- Grand Haven Hotels
- Jacksonville Hotels
- Provincia de La Altagracia
- Monaco Hotels
- Laos Hotels
- Rancho San Isidro de Rosarito Hotels
- Bad Neustadt an der Saale
- Smuttynose Island
Badges & Stats in Rostov
- 14 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Rostov?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rostov
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 69 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sochi Intro, 10 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pereslavl'-Zalesskiy Intro, 12 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suzdal' Intro, 22 reviews, 22 photos
- Konstantinovo Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Kolomna Intro, 15 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volgograd Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- Rostov Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Astana Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Dagomys Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos