"AKMOLA -> TSELINOGRAD -> ASTANA" Top 5 Page for this destination Astana by Pablos_new
Astana Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 67 photos
Akmola, which could be translated from ancient Turk as "white grave" was a small willage in endless Kazakh steppe. In 1950-s Khruschev made a call: Everyone should go for uprising of virgin lands. And millions of peasants, mainly from Russia and Ukraine, moved with families into this wild and deserted country. For many of young people this was real chalenge and there were really very many volunteers and enthusiasts came here to build new life. Administrative center of the new region could not have such an unpleasant name and new town was named: Tselinograd. "Tselina" in Russian and Ukranian means "Virgin lands" (Virginia ;-))).
After fall of the Soviet Union there was a wave of renaming of all Russian names (not only Soviet ones) in Northen Kazakhstan (even ancient Russian town Guriev was renamed). Name Akmola was returned, but not for too long time. To prevent splitting Kazakhstan into to parts (Russian-speaking and Kazakh-speaking), president Nazarbaev desided to move capital from Almaty (Alma-Ata) to the north. Name Akmola again apeared to be rather unpleasnat for that. And new giant and modern megapolis appeared on the world map - Astana.
I Kazakh this means just "a capital".
In 2006 a big aquarium with real sea sharks opened in Astana. Worth to visit this place - this is the most "far from the... more travel advice
This picture was taken on the way from airport to the city. You can see new mosque (under construction) and some big... more travel advice
Pablos_new's Related Pages
Astana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "AKMOLA -> TSELINOGRAD -> ASTANA"
- ""New Dubai""
- "Astana - New Capital of Kazakhstan"
- "Astana - Zhana Kala"
- "Solnetshnij Kasakhstan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Astana
- Hotels in Astana
- Nightlife in Astana
- Restaurants in Astana
- Warnings and Dangers in Astana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Astana
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Astana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Astana
Photos in AstanaSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 69 reviews, 108 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sochi Intro, 10 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pereslavl'-Zalesskiy Intro, 12 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suzdal' Intro, 22 reviews, 22 photos
- Konstantinovo Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Kolomna Intro, 15 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volgograd Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- Rostov Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Astana Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Dagomys Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos