"Britain's first National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Peak District National Park by TimMiles
Peak District National Park Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 222 photos
The Peak District straddles the Pennines Hills in Northern England, encompassing parts of Derbyshire, Yorkshire and Staffordshire. To the east it is bounded by the South Yorkshire conurbations of Barnsley and Sheffield, to the North, Leeds, to the west Manchester and to the South Derby, Chesterfield and the conurbations of the Midlands. This means that the park is hugely accessible and is enjoyed by many visitors - in fact the Peak District is the second most visited National Park in the world - behind Mount Fuji. Something like 30 million people visit the park every year!
I have been living in Sheffield for only two years and have been enjoying exploring this wonderful countryside on my doorstep - I can get to the most amzing countryside in under 15 minutes by bus, or I can walk from my front door!
I don't own a car, so I have been exploring the Peaks on foot and by public transport. Luckily there is excellent access almost anywhere in the park by bus, train or a combination of the two. Car use is one of the most pressing issues for the park at present - on a bank holiday and some weekends, congestion is at city centre levels in places.
So this page will be updated with travel information, so I will make it as thorough as possible, so even if you don't have a car (or even if you do!) you can still enjoy the countryside. So, please when you visit the National Park - please "be green"!
I will be updating this page regularly with new walks and information on the towns in the Peak district as I discover them, so join me in exploring the National Park!
9 National Parks were designated as a result of the 1949 National Parks Act as areas for conservation and recreation. They differ from many National Parks in the world in that they are not areas of wilderness, they are working landscapes. Human habitation has shaped these landscapes for thousands of years, and continues to do so so don't be surprised to find towns, farms and even quarries in the national park!
However, this human scale adds to their charm and you will find quintessentially english villages in the Peak District, surrounded by rolling hills and meadows. You can still find solitude - in the peaks though, there are some really haunting, desolate bleak moorlands out there!
There are pubs all over the Peak District and it is great to plan your walk so you can have a beer or two (!) at the end... more travel advice
Carl Wark in the Burbage Valley is the site of an old Iron age settlement. It juts up and gives commanding views along... more travel advice
TimMiles' Related Pages
Peak District National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ben-UK's Peak District page"
- "Britain's first National Park"
- "The Peak District"
- "Green hills, great halls, grey bold peaks"
- "A peek at the Peaks"
- "jayhawk2000's Edale and the Peak District"
- "Only a brief dalliance............................"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peak District National Park
- Hotels in Peak District National Park
- Transportation in Peak District National Park
- Nightlife in Peak District National Park
- Restaurants in Peak District National Park
- Shopping in Peak District National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Peak District National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Peak District National Park
- 17 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Peak District National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peak District National Park
Photos in Peak District National ParkSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Peak District National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Cairo Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sheffield Intro, 13 reviews, 7 photos
- Uyuni 6 reviews, 6 photos
- London 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Peru 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Quito Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cuzco Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Potosí Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Avebury 2 reviews, 2 photos
No friends yet.