"Issyk Kul - world's second largest mountain lake" Ysyk-Kol Oblasty by Eish
Ysyk-Kol Oblasty Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 172 photos
The North shore is accessible from Bishkek and used to be the playground of the Russians in USSR days. There are sanitoria along the shore, and it is here that tourism has developed. Other places we visited included
- the petroglyphs at Cholpon Ata (carved between 8BC and 5BC),
- many gorges to walk in (Altyn Arashun and its hot springs is one),
- Karakol - 15km away from the lake on its eastern-most point, and its mixture of religions and cultures (see the Dungan Mosque and the Russian Orthodox church) as well as the Przevalsky museum. This is also the gateway to the Tien Shan mountains.
- Jety Oguz gorge to see the 7 bulls and hike or camp
Of course, there is the lake itself - swim, windsurf, and boat.
Here we soaked up deserted beaches, with no concrete structures in sight. The shore is arid and bare, often with reeds or wind-beaten rocks. Apparently this is one of the poorest parts of Kyrgyzstan.
We stayed in a yurt camp run by Dostuck.
From here we visited Barskoon gorge - magnificent!
- Pros:Lake is fun, good walking nearby, interesting history
- Cons:The Russian sanitoria - not the sanctuary we wanted
We shopped for cherries for a few som. But depending what is in season, there are other products that you could find.... more travel advice
Eish's Related Pages
Ysyk-Kol Oblasty Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Issyk Kul - world's second largest mountain lake"
- "T'an-Shan - mountings of the skies"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ysyk-Kol Oblasty
- Hotels in Ysyk-Kol Oblasty
- Transportation in Ysyk-Kol Oblasty
- Nightlife in Ysyk-Kol Oblasty
- Restaurants in Ysyk-Kol Oblasty
- Shopping in Ysyk-Kol Oblasty
- Warnings and Dangers in Ysyk-Kol Oblasty
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ysyk-Kol Oblasty
- 14 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Ysyk-Kol Oblasty?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ysyk-Kol Oblasty
Top 10 Pages
- Osh Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karakol 6 reviews, 15 photos
- Johannesburg 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Naryn Oblasty Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos
- Mozambique Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos
- Simon's Town 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Cape Town 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Kyrgyzstan Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Sary-Tash Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Royal Natal National Park 4 reviews, 8 photos
No friends yet.