"Jabiru" Jabiru by 1+1

Jabiru Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 20 photos

On 24 April 2006 Cyclone Monica side-swiped Jabiru. Damage to infrastructure was minimal but a lot of trees came down. It still looks a bit of a mess in lots of places but cleaning up is progressing.

One loss for visitors is the shady area by the lake where people would picnic. Most of those trees are gone and it looks a bit like a construction site.

One plus is that with many trees missing the Crocodile Hotel is now more visible in it's shape as a crocodile. Maybe you should get a look before trees grow back and block the view again.

The photo above is pre-cyclone.

• Pros:Ideal base for exploring Kakadu National Park
  • Intro Updated Jun 6, 2006

• pattypoo's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2011 at 3:34 AM

Hi Zig. Just having a read of your pages again as your the best Australia got for info. I love and miss Paraburdoo a lot. Did I tell you I got my australian citizenship by decent when i was 60 lol.. Dont think i will ever live there now that I have a grandchild..Take care love Pattypoo x

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2008 at 1:49 AM

scarey stuff those hurricanes!we had1in Sydney which brought down massive nbrs of trees-thx for yr photos-xlnt to see green&lively happenings in Jabiru!Hav a travelog on floods in the desert in my Merzouga,Morocco pg if u like a look...all the best.

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2008 at 4:45 AM

Can't wait to be able to build my own Jabiru page, thanks to you Zig. Hope we can see the Crocodile hotel still :-))

• australia2's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2007 at 5:41 AM

Glad George didn't do you any harm, Zig. Jacob turned out a bit of a fizzer? Maybe we'll get the leftovers. First met those cane toads in T'ville in the 50's. A couple of years ago in Georgetown !! Ruddy pests! Sic 'em.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2006 at 11:08 PM

Haha, looks like you guys had a fantastic time Zig! Like Deb, I'm jealous too! Your place looks gorgeous!! Watch out!! I'm coming up there next!! Cheers, Ann :o)

• Tina-Perth's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2006 at 8:04 PM

Fantastic Zig, thanks so much for posting the pics! Let me guess who the gutter comment was in reference to? Butch tucker women, hahaha!

• allikat's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2006 at 3:23 PM

213 times more successful eh? Hahahaha!!! But how many empty bottles? Did anyone photograph roo poo? Any legs in air imitating urban art? Seriously, you guys have made me sooooo envious, glad to know you are having so much fun! You guys ROCK!

• adelaidean's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2006 at 2:56 PM

Haha ..I am soooo jealous!!!!! Looks like a hoot!

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2006 at 2:33 PM

Dang! It looks like you all had sooo much fun :) Thanks for posting the pics so our jealousy could come to a full head. LOL

• craic's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2003 at 4:39 AM

Such beautiful country. I have got to get there and visit.

1+1