"Kokoda Trail/Track" Kokoda by 1+1

Kokoda Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 117 photos

This appears to be the page everyone's been using for the Kokoda Trail/Track, so I'll do like wise. But firstly a little note on the "Trail/Track" issue. It appears to have been resolved that it's the Kokoda Trail, and that's the name that appears at the Owers Corner end of it. However, all along it you'll see signs that only say "trail", some will only have "Track", while there are some signs (ie in front of the Kokoda Hospital) that have "Trail/Track".

The Kokoda song sung by the locals, don't know how many versions there are of it, seems to switch between both words. But I'm sure which ever word you use everyone will know what you're talking about.

Recently there was a lot of publicity about the track when those two people died within a short time. Also recently, some land owners near the Kokoda end blockaded the track at their village. This all created a lot of media attention, although not much clarity.

The main point I'd like to make about this walk it that it's very doable, provided you're well prepared. And when I say "prepared", I really mean prepared. You can be fit in many different ways, but at the same time be not fit in other ways. Kokoda is long very steep ups, and long very steep downs through slippery clay soils and tangled tree roots. Jogging, cycling, swimming, etc., don't get you there. They're good for your overall fitness/health level, but on their own they're not enough.

What I'd advise for training is steep, rough hills (not actual rock climbing) without made pathways or trails (ie cross country). Do the ups, and be sure to do the downs as well. Everyone on our trek thought the down hills were the hardest.

During the trek I learned the Kokoda Trail Song from the locals. Don't ask me to sing it, you'd regret it, trupela!

Olmangi rounabaut,
Calim nem bilong boss,
Bosso, bosso, putim nem bilong mi,
Mi laik wokabaut,
Longpela rot karimi go,
Long Kokoda Trail,
Mi laik go long Kokoda,
Wea wanpela botol,
Switpela SP,
I waitim mi,
Long Kokoda.

Details of the trek itself are going to be (slowly) put together on the travelogue pages, as time and energy permit.

After the long winding drive up the mountain from Port Moresby and along the dirt road to Owers Corner we were all ready for the obligatory "before" photo at the start of the trek. The local blokes/porters were sorting out their gear, we were anticipating what lay ahead.

A bit of lunch, and then at 12:30 PNG Time on Day One we set off to find out what awaited us amongst those twisted folds of jungle clad mountains.

[ Flash forward 9 days... ] Still smiling, but it had been a relatively easy walk that morning on Day Nine (final day) from our overnight camp in Deniki, which is just up the mountain overlooking the valley where you can see Kokoda in the distance. We'd set out at about 7:00 am, down hill all the way, and finally arrived in Kokoda about 9:00 am.

No cheering crowds, no fanfare, no trumpets, just a feeling of accomplishment. And overall, a humbling feeling of appreciation for those who went over that track in 1942.

• Intro Updated Sep 14, 2009

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2009 at 9:34 AM

I am really impressed by your efforts (at the moment, I am reading a book about the Kokoda trail experience in 1942). Your travelogue makes it much easier to visualize the trail.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2009 at 3:10 AM

Wow..amazing travelogues. Thanks for sharing. I see that you have more people in the after picture.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2009 at 3:56 AM

Excellent account of your KT experience - esp. on your Intro & T'logs! The twisting road up the Laloki Valley looks familiar - I never got further than Sogeri with a young family in-tow! Sad re that recent Twin Otter crash while trying to land at Kokoda.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2009 at 3:52 PM

this looks really adventurous mate. i´d love to visit there one day.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Very interested to see this page, Zig. The photos (esp in the travelogues) really get across what a slog it is to take on the Trail: quite enough without the Japanese making it more difficult!

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Hi Zig--great to see your pics and love your description of the track/trail-waiting for some pics deep in the jungle they would be amazing.Your tips on this area are great. Say hi to O --Dorrise

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2009 at 5:15 AM

Tired but happy.... I see it would be a very good place to visit...

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2009 at 5:04 AM

Hey Bro, it's fitting you were the one with long pants on, you wise old owl!! Now tell me, did those porters carry your packs?????

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2009 at 4:06 AM

Hi Uncle! Glad to see you home safe and sound - that photo really makes me understand the challenge - in its simplest form!!! Gillybob greetings

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2009 at 10:01 PM

So that's it hey. ....Gee, check out the mountains! ...Phew!... Why don't they create a flying fox?....I'd be in that! ;o) xx

1+1