"Spectacle Island, Hawkesbury River" Spectacle Island by 1+1
Spectacle Island Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 1 photos
Spectacle Island lies in the estuarine reaches of the Hawkesbury River, between the Sydney Region and the Central Coast area of New South Wales. It\s only a small tear-drop shaped island but is just under 100 metres high - basically a marooned hill.
The island is part of the Brisbane Waters National Park which takes in a large area along the northern shore of the Hawkesbury River, right up to Brisbane Waters near it's exit into the Pacific Ocean at Broken Bay. The island was known locally as Goat Island due to an inhabitant keeping a herd of goats there many years back. Subsequently the goats turned feral but were later removed by the national parks authorities.
In the early 1980's only one inhabitant remained on the island under sufferance from the park authorities who wanted the area to be returned totally to nature. There are still remains of foundations of squatter houses on the north side of the island and a small dam which still holds water after rainy periods.
The last inhabitant, Bill Baldry, lived on the deep water side of the island, the east side, where he had a small jetty to tie up his old clinker hulled boat with inboard single cylinder motor. He died in the 1980's, ending an era on the river. His rough bush house was demolished and even the jetty has mostly broken up.
As with much of that lower Hawkesbury area, the island has a rich flora. Late winter and early spring it is covered with masses of colourful wildflowers.
The climb to the top of the island is fairly steep but accessible. The views all around are quite good, apart from the odd trees which cover the summit.
Access to the island is from the east side, the western side being mangrove flats at low tide. The tidal movement is only a maximum of about 2 metres twice a day.
1+1's Related Pages
Spectacle Island Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Spectacle Island
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Spectacle Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Spectacle Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 58 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Kokoda Intro, 4 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stokes Range Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Katherine Intro, 1 review, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Palmerston Island Intro, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Echuca Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jabiru Intro, 19 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lake Frome Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Maningrida Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues