"Dampier, Western Australia" Dampier by 1+1
Dampier Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 20 photos
Dampier is a coastal West Australian town situated just over 1500 kms north of Perth. The town is the port base for the mining industry of the Pilbara Region and the North-West Shelf oil and gas fields. Constructed in 1965 it is typically a company town which finally outgrew its limits. As a consequence the nearby town of Karratha was constructed which has now become the more populated and major centre of the region.
The area is arid which makes for virtually constant fine weather, even if very hot at times. Hence the development of salt (NaCl) drying facilities at Dampier which are the largest salt producers in Australia. The salt drying ponds can be seen beside the road driving to the town. Further north is the huge North West Shelf Gas Project of Woodside Petroleum. Gas drilled about 130 kms offshore is piped to the onshore processing facility from where it is piped to the southern part of Western Australia and also shipped to Japan.
Dampier is also at the base of the Burrup Peninsula, a rocky prominence into the Indian Ocean. The peninsula itself was an island isolated by a mangrove creek and salt flats, but in recent times was joined by a causeway to the mainland by one of the mining companies. Around the peninsula lie the many islands of the Dampier Archipelago. These are popular for fishing and diving, being clear tropical waters with coral reefs. The peninsula and the islands have many thousands of Aboriginal rock engravings, one of the great concentrations of ancient lithic art in the world.
- Pros:Spectacular colourful scenery
Gas piped in from about 130 kms offshore is processed here and stored before being piped over 1400 kms south and also... more travel advice
1+1's Related Pages
Dampier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dampier, Western Australia"
- "Dampier and Karratha"
- "Dampier, Tomprice & Other Places"
- "Dampier - this place was hot"
- "A beautiful, remote coastal town."
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dampier
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Dampier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dampier
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 58 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Kokoda Intro, 4 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stokes Range Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Katherine Intro, 1 review, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Palmerston Island Intro, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Echuca Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jabiru Intro, 19 photos, 3 travelogues
- Maningrida Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lake Frome Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos