"Gardangal (Field Island)" Field Island by 1+1
Field Island Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 8 photos
Field Island is a low tropical island off the mouth of the South Alligator River in VanDieman Gulf, Northern Territory. The highest point is only a few metres above water level at high tide, but increases to about 10 metres at low tide. This large vertical tidal movement of about 7 metres exposes reefs and sand bars around the island and can be a trap for people in small boats.
The island is part of Kakadu National Park but is rarely visited, even by fishermen. Most of the shoreline is fringed by mangrove forests and the western side is generally a tidally inundated network of creeks with continuous mangrove forest. This makes it an important feeding area for marine life. The surrounding reefs also form part of this feeding ground, for larger species especially Green Turtles.
Flat-backed Turtle scurrying back to the water after laying eggs on the island.
Only a small part of the shoreline, on the eastern fringe, is actually a sandy beach and this is an important nesting ground for Flat-backed Turtles. This is also the easiest landing spot for the island and thus threatens the turtle nesting area.
Flat-backed Turtles come up during the night at high tide to dig holes in the sand and lay their eggs. It's best to... more travel advice
There's a big tidal movement around the island, up to 7 metres in height. If you don't watch it you could end up being... more travel advice
1+1's Related Pages
Field Island Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Field Island
- Hotels in Field Island
- Nightlife in Field Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Field Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Field Island
- 8 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Field Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Field Island
Photos in Field IslandSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 58 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Kokoda Intro, 4 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stokes Range Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Katherine Intro, 1 review, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Palmerston Island Intro, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Echuca Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jabiru Intro, 19 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lake Frome Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Maningrida Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues