"Kununurra" Top 5 Page for this destination Kununurra by 1+1
Kununurra Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 25 photos
Kununurra is the eastern gateway to the Kimberley region, the northern part of Western Australia The town developed along with the Ord River Irrigation Project during the 1960's. Wyndham was the major town in the East kimberley region however, Kununurra is more modern and has really eclipsed it. All the usual facilities for a town are available.
From Kununurra you can head out to Wyndham on the coast, the Gibb River Road through the north of the Kimberley, Purnululu (Bungle Bungle) off the highway heading towards Broome, Lake Argyle to the south, Argyle Diamond Mine, or back into the Northern Territory to the Keep River National Park which is right on the border.
The Ord River Irrigation Project, when completed, looked like becoming a huge and expensive "white elephant". But over the years many viable agricultural enterprises have developed .
The Boab Tree (photo above) is very common throughout the Kimberley and also into the adjacent part of the Northern Territory right up to Katherine. One near Broome was hollowed out (naturally) and used as a jail.
I have many more pictures of Kununnurra and surrounds but haven't been able to find them for scanning yet.
This plant is common along the road between Katherine (Northern Territory) and Kununurra. I was surprised to find out it was considered a weed. I find the flowers rather attractive.
Termite mounds in the Kimberley are different to those of the Top End of the Northern Territory. They're only about 1.5 metres high but have this strange "melt-down" shape.
- Pros:Ideal base for adventure tours
About 70 kms from Kununurra, Lake Argyle provides some spectacular scenery. See my travelogue for more information and... more travel advice
Keep in mind that many of the rivers and waterways in the Kununurra region are inhabited by crocodiles, including Lake... more travel advice
1+1's Related Pages
Kununurra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Kimberly region........."
- "Jumping off spot for the Kimberlys"
- "In the Kimberley region."
- "Boabs and Sunsets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kununurra
- Hotels in Kununurra
- Shopping in Kununurra
- Warnings and Dangers in Kununurra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kununurra
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Kununurra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kununurra
Photos in KununurraSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 58 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Kokoda Intro, 4 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stokes Range Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Katherine Intro, 1 review, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Palmerston Island Intro, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Echuca Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jabiru Intro, 19 photos, 3 travelogues
- Field Island Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Lake Frome Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos