"Maranboy" Maranboy by 1+1
Maranboy Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 31 photos
Maranboy these days is a remote police outpost along the Central Arnhem Road in the Northern Territory. In it's heyday, in the early 20th century, it was a tin mining area with a few supporting activities. Mines were run mainly by individuals but the government set a up an ore crushing battery. There was also a hospital and someone set up a market garden in an attempt to provide a fresh source of vegetables.
As the pickings in the area dwindled, the hospital was packed up and relocated to Katherine, a small settlement in those days about 50 kilometres away on the Katherine River.
The battery fell into disrepair and today much of it remains as ruins being slowly reclaimed by the bush.
Near the current Police outpost and the battery ruins is a spring bridged by the road.
- Pros:Out-of-the-way "wild setting".
1+1's Related Pages
Maranboy Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Maranboy
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Maranboy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maranboy
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 58 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Kokoda Intro, 4 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stokes Range Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Katherine Intro, 1 review, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Palmerston Island Intro, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Echuca Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jabiru Intro, 19 photos, 3 travelogues
- Lake Frome Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Maningrida Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues