"So this is Eastern Europe!!!" Budapest by BLewJay
Budapest Travel Guide: 7,736 reviews and 17,971 photos
At the end of our first week in Vienna, we decided to take a trip to Hungary...specifically Budapest...since it was so close. I really didn't know what to expect, but based on comments made by VT members who either live there or travel there, we were in for a good time. So, after spending the night partying with friends in Vienna, we arose at the crack of dawn to catch the 6:25 a.m. train to Budapest. The 3 hour ride was fun and luckily for us, we had our own compartment. I won't go into more details at this time (I'll save it for later on), but needless to say, we had a wonderful experience.
The capital of Hungary is situated along the Danube, in the heart of the Carpathian basin. Hilly Buda, which comprises one-third of the city’s area of 525 km² is located along the right bank of the Danube surrounded by low mountains. János Hill, with its 529 metres is the highest summit of Buda (across the river sprawls flat Pest). The geology of Budapest has played a determining role in the city’s life over the course of history. Hot springs breaking through limestone mountains supplying water of 35-76 degrees centigrade gave rise to a flourishing culture of spas in the Roman Age and made Budapest one of the most popular spa cities of Europe.
- Pros:The malls are open on Sunday, people are very friendly, transportation system is easy to use
- Cons:Although Hungary is part ot the EU, if you travel there, it's best to use the local currrency (Forint/HUF)
- In a nutshell:A fantastic city which you must visit (if you get the opportunity)
The 700-year old Matthias Church with its Gothic spire and multi-colored tiled roof is where the nation's kings were... more travel advice
The Parliament is the largest and most decorative building in the country. It has 10 courts, 29 decorative staircases,... more travel advice
BLewJay's Related Pages
Budapest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Budapest - My dear hometown! :)"
- "Budapest, the "Phoenix bird", my lovely home city"
- "A fantastic town along the Danube River"
- "BIG, BUSTLING, BEAUTIFUL, BUDAPEST!"
- "A New Year, A New City"
- "SUCH A GORGEOUS CITY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Budapest
- Hotels in Budapest
- Transportation in Budapest
- Nightlife in Budapest
- Restaurants in Budapest
- Shopping in Budapest
- Warnings and Dangers in Budapest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Budapest
- 16 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Budapest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Budapest
Photos in BudapestSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Oahu Intro, 53 reviews, 128 photos, 7 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 39 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 26 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 17 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 18 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- Fortuna Intro, 9 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Oceanside Intro, 27 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 12 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 11 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues