"So this is Eastern Europe!!!" Budapest by BLewJay

Budapest Travel Guide: 7,727 reviews and 17,908 photos

My first visit to Hungary

At the end of our first week in Vienna, we decided to take a trip to Hungary...specifically Budapest...since it was so close. I really didn't know what to expect, but based on comments made by VT members who either live there or travel there, we were in for a good time. So, after spending the night partying with friends in Vienna, we arose at the crack of dawn to catch the 6:25 a.m. train to Budapest. The 3 hour ride was fun and luckily for us, we had our own compartment. I won't go into more details at this time (I'll save it for later on), but needless to say, we had a wonderful experience.

A little history is always good

The capital of Hungary is situated along the Danube, in the heart of the Carpathian basin. Hilly Buda, which comprises one-third of the city’s area of 525 km² is located along the right bank of the Danube surrounded by low mountains. János Hill, with its 529 metres is the highest summit of Buda (across the river sprawls flat Pest). The geology of Budapest has played a determining role in the city’s life over the course of history. Hot springs breaking through limestone mountains supplying water of 35-76 degrees centigrade gave rise to a flourishing culture of spas in the Roman Age and made Budapest one of the most popular spa cities of Europe.

• Pros:The malls are open on Sunday, people are very friendly, transportation system is easy to use
  • Cons:Although Hungary is part ot the EU, if you travel there, it's best to use the local currrency (Forint/HUF)
  • In a nutshell:A fantastic city which you must visit (if you get the opportunity)
  • Last visit to Budapest: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 21, 2005

• rebibi's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2005 at 2:23 AM

I see, you had a good time in Budapest. I'm sure you will always remember your stay in this very good Hilton Hotel!

• Nov 28, 2005 at 3:34 PM

Hey, Very Nice photos and tips you have! Did you like the Hungarian salami?I hope so eh:) Greetings from Hungary.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2005 at 12:13 AM

Next year I will visit Budapest for a few days. It looks like a lovely city!

BLewJay

“VT is the greatest!!!”

Badges & Stats in Budapest

Have you been to Budapest?

Latest Activity in Budapest