"Vienna is a city of dreams" Vienna by BLewJay

Vienna Travel Guide: 7,417 reviews and 18,490 photos

As the title implies, Vienna is truly a city full of dreams. A visit to Vienna is like a stroll through the past, for almost nowhere else is history so close at hand. From the 1st District all the way out to the Vienna Woods (and beyond), the city has become a junction connecting the continent’s eastern and western parts.

This was my first visit to Vienna (LJ had lived here for 9 years) and I wanted to experience as much as I could while here. Before making the trip, I learned some German phrases so that I could order as much beer as I wanted (just kidding), but learned many more phrases while I was actually in the country. It's true, people will appreciate the fact that you are trying to speak the language and will bend over backwards to help you out when you need assistance. I did hear a number of times that my German pronunciation was very good and articulate...not bad for a city boy born in NYC.

LJ still has many friends in Vienna and they took us to places where not many tourists could be found...that's what I wanted. To experience the "real" Vienna away from the high prices and loud tourists. But we also met up with Ursula (alusru...a VT'er who lives in Vienna) who is truly a wonderful person. We hit if off from the start and got together three times while in the city. So, I want to thank all of LJ's friends as well as Ursula for making my time in Vienna a truly wonderful experience.

• Pros:A beautiful city filled with history, great food, music, opera and an efficient public transportation system
  • Cons:Traffic can be a pain and most of the residents need to put away the vinegar faces...smile a little bit!!!
  • In a nutshell:A great city to get out and explore the surroundings
  • Last visit to Vienna: Jul 2012
  • Intro Updated Jul 25, 2012

• babbeeface's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2008 at 5:54 AM

The Viennese could be not so happy about the monument but surely are happy about Russian (and Allies') soldiers freeing them from Nazi rule...

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2005 at 4:58 AM

What excellently written and informative tips on Vienna. I particularly like the restaurant tips, although, to be frank, they are more like restaurant reviews! Great job. fergy.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2005 at 8:35 AM

Sounds a fantastic trip, the restaurant meals didnt seem as expensive as I thought they would be in Austria. I have heard of restaurants where you pay what you think the meal is worth, good job Wayne does do that with my cooking I would be skint hahaha

• alusru's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2005 at 6:40 AM

Wow, so much information of Vienna! That's a great job! Thank you for these wonderful compliments in your writing. Hugs and kisses from Vienna, Ursula

• themajor's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2005 at 4:08 AM

Ah Vienna! I only wish I could afford to move there...although if that 'pay what you want' restaurant is still going strong, perhaps I can!

BLewJay