"It's Pura Vida time" San José by BLewJay
San José Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 106 photos
Our visit to Costa Rica was the first time that either of us had ventured to Central America. It's one of the countries I had always heard about and wanted to visit, but never got the opportunity. Well, scratch this off of the proverbial bucket list...we have made it to Costa Rica!!!. It's a beautiful country with wonderful and helpful people and so many different things to see, I (or should I say "we") hope to return sometime soon.
Our introduction to Costa Rica was landing at the Juan Santamaría International Airport; a very modern, clean and user-friendly place to land. After getting through customs and picking up our luggage, we headed out the doors into the sunshine, heat, humidity and humanity of San José. Now having just coming in from the USA (Los Angeles thru Houston), the crowds didn't bother us but there are lots of people airport so just keep an eye on your personal property. We found our car rental bus, hopped on and headed to the main office to get our SUV.
After reviewing and signing the rental agreement (insurance is mandatory but not expensive) but declining the optional GPS (BIG MISTAKE!!!), we headed out to find our hotel. The first few miles on the Pan American Highway are pretty easy and we had a map, so what could go wrong? Well, we got lost rather quickly. Granted, we never felt nervous or anything like that, but in Costa Rica, addresses don't exist and San José is a big city, so we did what any other tourist would do. We got out of the SUV, stopped at McDonald's, used our Spanish and asked for directions. Well, this happened a number of times...lol...we eventually got to our hotel...only about 2 1/2 hours after leaving the car rental place...lol...lesson learned. GET A GPS which we eventually did back at the car rental place on our way out of the city the next day.
- Pros:People, vibe and beauty
- Cons:Traffic and a bit crowded
After a long day of traveling (L.A. - Houston - San José) and taking a well deserved nap in our hotel room, we decided... more travel advice
We have an unlocked phone which we use when traveling to other countries. So as soon as we land, we head to the... more travel advice
BLewJay's Related Pages
San José Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Jose"
- "The Capital of Costa Rica"
- "San Jose"
- "Fun !!!!"
- "It's Pura Vida time"
- "San Jose, Capital of Costa Rica"
- "Very Inexpensive place to live"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San José
- Hotels in San José
- Transportation in San José
- Nightlife in San José
- Restaurants in San José
- Shopping in San José
- Warnings and Dangers in San José
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San José
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to San José?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San José
Photos in San JoséSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Oahu Intro, 53 reviews, 128 photos, 7 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 45 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 39 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 26 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 17 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 18 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- Fortuna Intro, 9 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Oceanside Intro, 27 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 12 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 11 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues