"Patmos is Bliss" Top 5 Page for this destination Patmos Island by BlackSheeper

Patmos Island Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 137 photos

Thank you Turkish Officials!

I wasn't really planning on visiting Patmos -- just planning a day trip to Samos from Turkey and back again the same day. Then the Turkish officials severely pissed me off on my way out of the country, and I decided to take a bigger time out from Turkey. So on a whim, I headed to Patmos, curious about this island that they so long ago imprisoned John from the Bible on. From Samos, we stopped at 2 islands along the way, filling my heart with dread, thinking 'no wonder they made Patmos a prision' -- there was nothing in sight. Then about 3 hours after my ferry had taken off, I arrived in Patmos -- beautiful beyond belief!! It is a small island with about 3000 regular inhabitants, which supposedly inflates to 10,000 in the summer. However, I caught it just as the tourists season was ending, which made for a beautiful time -- no tourists, but perfect weather, and off-season discounts as well. It is significantly cheaper than much of Greece, and has much to offer -- historical sights from John and others, charming homes and churches throughout the island, a nice small downtown area with classy shopping and clean traditional restuarants, and very European bars as well. I planned to stay a day, and left a week later, still not ready to leave!

• Pros:cozy, classy, relaxing, nothing too far away
  • Cons:museums open damn early in the morning!
  • In a nutshell:I had revelations!
  • Last visit to Patmos Island: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 1, 2003

BlackSheeper

“Live simply, that others might simply live.”

Badges & Stats in Patmos Island

Have you been to Patmos Island?

Latest Activity in Patmos Island