"A N T A L Y A is Old City(citadel) a.k.a KALEICI" Top 5 Page for this destination Antalya by marsistanbul
Antalya Travel Guide: 740 reviews and 2,065 photos
Antalya,where the sea,the sun,history and the nature have merged each other in splendid harmony,had been entitled as the "Turkish Riviera".Having the most beautiful and the cleanest shores of the Mediterranean,along the 630 km long coastal line of Antalya,one encounters antique cities,antique ports,monumental graves,lace-like shores,beaches,greenest forests,rivers and waterfalls...
Legend has it that Attalos II,King of Pergamon,wishing to found a new city,ordered his men to seek out an"earthly paradise",and that after searching far and wide,they decided that this "earthly paradise" could be found only on the site now occupied by the city of Antalya.An so it was here that Attalos founded his city.Named "Attaleia" after its founder,in Arabic sources it is referred to as "Antaliye" and in Turkish sources as "Adalya".
During the Byzantine period,which began in 395 A.D.Antalya became a very busy port,particularly as regards Mediterranean trade.However,from the 7th century onwards the city was exposed to Arab raids,and in 860 remained for a short time in the hands of Fazl bin Karin,the commander -in-chief of the Abbasid Caliph Mutevekkil,
Its strategic location and its importance as a port forming a commercial link between Anatolia and the other Mediterranean countries made Antalya an obvious military target for the Seljuk Sultans.In 1182,it with stood a siege by the Seljuk Sultan KILICARSLAN II,but the determination of the Seljuk Sultan Giyaseddin Keyhusrev I was lent additional urgency by the continual piracy carried out by the Latins who had by then settled in Cyprus,and the damage thus inflicted on the goods of merchants arriving in Antalya.Finally,on 5 march 1207,with the help of the local population,Sultan Keyhusrev captured the city after a two-months' siege.For three days the conquest chaos reigned in the city but " Mubaruziddin Ertokus,who had been appointed Subasi(prefect),gave orders that the people should return to their homes and that peace and security should be restored.The city is known to have been subsequently repaired,grain stored in the granaries,the arsenals filled with weapons and a hatip(preacher) appointed to the mosque".
On friday in 1212,the non-Muslim inhabitants of Antalya suddenly mutinied,attacking the Turks and killing many of the city administrators.The loss of Antalya caused a powerful reaction among the Seljuks,and Izzeddin Keykavus immediately set out and laid siege to city,which he recaptured on 22 january 1216.
Kaleici can be called the center of Antalya.It is one of the liveliest parts in the city with hotels,pensions,restaurants and entertainment facilities.The streets of Kaleici extend to the old harbor,which is used as an international yacht marina today.
The Kaleici region with surrounding walls,which is the co-production of Hellenistic,Roman,Byzantine,Seljuk,and Ottoman eras,and the Inner Port of Antalya are historical sites under protection sites today.
Antalya being accessible via motorway,airway and seaway transport,districts in Antalya are:Akseki,Alanya,Elmali,Finike,Gazipasa,Gundogmus,Ibradi,Kale,Kas,Kemer,Korkuteli,Kumluca,Manavgat,Serik.Some of those historical must-to see places for those who pay a visit to Antalya are:
Kaleici,Olympos,Cirali,Phaselis,Thermessos,Perge,Aspendos,Side,Kekova and Demre(Myra).There are also the natural wonders of Antalya that one should visit,and Karain Cave,Karatas-Semahoyuk and Zeytintasi Cave,and further more Kursunlu,Manavgat and Duden Waterfalls are worth-to-see natural marvels in Antalya...
Tourism,migration,new comers or neocolonialism have been delivered or captured of the city,most of the restaurant or... more travel advice
The ancient city of Limyra is in Antalya province,4 km north-east of the town of Fenike.The city of Limyra was called... more travel advice
- See All Kaleicic(Old city-Citadel)
- See All taxis-Minibuses-Coachs..
- See All Migros Shopping Mall
- See All Divan(Talya)Hotel
marsistanbul's Related Pages
Antalya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A N T A L Y A is Old City(citadel) a.k.a KALEICI"
- "Antalya at Christmas time"
- "Antalya Turkey"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antalya
- Hotels in Antalya
- Transportation in Antalya
- Nightlife in Antalya
- Restaurants in Antalya
- Shopping in Antalya
- Warnings and Dangers in Antalya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antalya
- 96 Reviews
- 204 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Antalya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antalya
- Posted in Travel Turkey Forum "Re: Weather early november"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A N T A L Y A is Old City(citadel) a.k.a KALEICI"
- updated a Antalya Travel Page "A N T A L Y A is Old City(citadel) a.k.a KALEICI"
- Wrote a Review Kaleicic(Old city-Citadel) in Antalya Favorites
- Commented on one of ruffen's Antalya travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antalya Intro, 96 reviews, 204 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valparaíso Intro, 37 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 25 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nanjing Intro, 34 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southend-on-Sea Intro, 29 reviews, 66 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shanghai Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 2 reviews, 58 photos, 7 travelogues
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos
- Santiago Intro, 27 photos, 3 travelogues