"T'bilisi" Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi by marsistanbul

T'bilisi Travel Guide: 481 reviews and 1,514 photos

An ancient ritual..Tamada

The Georgian table is conducted in a wise manner in accordance with the ancient ritual. The head of the table “tamada” is elected as proposed by the host. The tamada must be a man of humour with an ability for improvisation and a philosopher’s wisdom. If there are many guests at the table he appoints assistants who in Georgian are called “tolumbashis”. The tamada’s toasts follow one another in a strict never violated order. The guest is obliged to listen attentively to each toast and appreciate the beauty of style and the purpot of the worlds said. If is not allowed to interrupt the tamada when he is saying the toats. The tamada’s assistants and other guests may only add something to the toast or develop its ideas. If you wish to say a toast, you must by all means have the tamada’s consent or else you will find yourself in an awkward position. This table ritual does not put restraints on the guests but maintains discipline at the table. The feast proceeds among jokes and is accompanied by a dance competition, table songs and music, quotations and aphorisms from the works of poets and writers.(aboutgeorgia.net)

• Last visit to T'bilisi: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 8, 2009

• Aitana's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2009 at 4:22 AM

Nice pages of Amalty and T'bilisi! I see you have visited my favorite places' pages! Thanks for your comments and ratings. My husband is better photographer than me, actually.

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Wow , you have very nice T'bilisi Page, Thanks for good Information, Your country is close to me, i hope see you here.

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2009 at 2:29 AM

hi Bulent, I liked your Tbilisi page. Tips are great. Most interesting thing at your tips is art nouveaou to me. Ive never heard of that Tbilisi has some art nouveaou buildings. thx for sharing.

• neodue's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2008 at 6:54 AM

Tamada tradition is very strong in Caucassia and Russia.But I will never sit a table with tamada cause I do not want poision my self with over alcohol :)

• Mar 28, 2008 at 11:37 AM

I agree with you totally about the super sizing of Georgia ;) Loved the red tree photo! Great shopping and restaurant tips too :)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Oh, yes, you've had a great stay there! Good for you!

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2008 at 1:15 PM

More of your excellent photos.

• Dec 30, 2007 at 9:12 PM

I really enjoyed your comments about Georgian Table Music. As far as I know, you and I are the only non-Georgians I know of in VT that enjoy its organic dissonance!

marsistanbul

“"create yr own visual style..let it be unique for yrself and yet identifiable for others".O.Welles”

Badges & Stats in T'bilisi

Have you been to T'bilisi?

Latest Activity in T'bilisi