"Smokey Mountain Musings" West Knoxville by Espresso_girl

West Knoxville Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 5 photos

A Place for Writers

You might not ever think of it this way, but Knoxville is a great town for writers. It’s the place where Frances Hodges Burnet’s Vagabondia Castle stood with its secret gardens on a soft lawn that led down to Tennessee River. Alexander Haley called it home till the end of his life and James Agee’s childhood in Fort Sanders was the inspiration for “A Death in the Family”. I think there must be a writer’s muse woven in to the banks of the Tennessee River where it bends around in the rocky arms of the valley. The downtown of Knoxville, despite much reinvention has a crumbling feel. Ghosts from a little known, but fascinating History walk its streets. It is just vacant enough to give space for thought but just vital and old enough to inspire Art.

I am opening a new chapter of my life in Knoxville, or rather I am picking up where I left off on an old chapter. After pleasant year spent on Merritt Island in Florida as a coffee barista, I will be trying to finish a PhD in Physics and working for a Mad Scientist (mad but not evil), who wants me to program robot Lagos for my bread and butter.
My basic soul is made of rock so the Smokey Mountains suit me well, but so much water and coffee crept in to my spirit from the vicinity of Merritt Island that it will be a hard adjustment none the less.

• Last visit to West Knoxville: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 26, 2003

• Sep 30, 2004 at 4:33 PM

The Tomato Head sounds super-B! Lovely page, but, wow! You do like typing... Have fun, Jem

• kenmerk's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2003 at 10:24 PM

Hey Jeanne, hope your Lego stacking studies dont keep you sobusy as to not be able to enjoy the occasional Knookabooka... Cheers from Taiwan....

• EPrez's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2003 at 1:31 AM

Sorry to hear the moldy basement saga, I assure you that Graceland has no such issue. Come and see for yourself when opportune arises.... Cheers...

Espresso_girl

“Leaving balances returning and each makes the other sweeter.”

Badges & Stats in West Knoxville

Have you been to West Knoxville?

Latest Activity in West Knoxville