"The World Is My Playground" OceanSiren's Profile

The first time I packed my backpack and went off exploring the world on my own was at the mature age of 4 years. I got mad at my mum - can't remember what for - and thought that it would be better just to run away and go living on my own in the big, exciting world. So I took my tiny backpack and packed it with my piggy bank, favourite teddy bear, a pair of extra socks and an apple. And off I went.

I can still remember that feeling: butterflies in my tummy, sun warming my face, heart beating a bit faster, filled with excitement and joy. I could go anywhere I wanted, the whole world was to be my playground. I walked down the street, took a shortcut through the big playground where we always used to play, and passed the little grocery store who's owner sometimes gave me candy for free. I had never been that far from home alone before. A passing thought of maybe missing my mummy and daddy out there in the big world crossed my mind, but was quickly covered under the fulfilling sense of freedom.

Less than just 1 km from home I bumped into my friend Johanna, 7, who was coming home from school. She said running away was a stupid idea and suggested that I would come to her house and play instead. I thought she might know better and be right because she was so much older than me - and I turned around and went home to play with her.

Years have passed and I have travelled further away from home than to our local grocery store, but the feeling I had at the age of 4 is still always the same. Whenever I lift my backpack to my solders, be it for a one-day hike in a national park nearby, inter-railing around Europe or moving to a foreign country far away, I always get those butterflies and remember what it felt like to be 4 and see the whole world opening up in front of me.

I have hitch-hiked in the West Bank, sneaked into a medieval castle in the moonlight in Chzeck, stood on the roof of the former WTC in NY, swum in the Arctic Ocean and seen the most beautiful sunset in a small paradise island in Thailand. Still I feel like I have only barely got started - most of my playground still remains terra incognita to me. I will keep travelling and I know I will never grow too old to play in my playground, exploring it and sharing it with my playmates.

Just bear with me...

Well, life has been (and IS) quite busy for me and I haven't had time to build my pages :( Anyway, as soon as I can I'll start working on them. Since you can easily find excellent tips on most of the places I've visited on other pages, my plan is to write some personal stories of my travel experiences instead of any general tips. Until then, then...

• Intro Updated Jun 17, 2003

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
OceanSiren's Profile Photo

OceanSiren

“The world is my playground”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.