"Ice Fishing on the Big Pond" Bay Bulls by crummey
Bay Bulls Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 11 photos
Icefshing is great fun. But those days are gone but there used to be great ice fishin on the Big Pond. Now its the water supply and we can't fish there no more.
Bay Bulls is a great place for history buffs because its an age-old community with a bloodthirsty past!
Its residents suffered pirate raids in 1610, 1611, 1612, 1616, 1618, 1628 e&.
In 1638, three families resided there. That year, Sir David Kirke built a fort and distributed small arms among the menfolk.
In the 1640's the English Civil War was in full-swing, and the violence eventually made its was to Bay Bulls. In 1645, Royalist privateers raided the fishing village to pillage a Yankee fishing fleet.
In the 1660's & 1670's the tiny fishing village was targeted by the Dutch Navy. It was raided by the likes of Micheal de Ruyter and Nicolaas Boes.
Several bloody battles were waged at Bay Bulls in the 1600's and 1700's
In 1692, a French Navy frigate raided the harbour.
In 1694, HMS Sapphire is sunk by French corsairs.
In 1696, D'Iberville arrived to burn the settlement and expel its residents.
In 1705 Subercase again burnt the settlement and expelled its residents.
In 1763, French soldiers disembarked at Bay Bulls and then marched on St. John's.
In the 1770's, Yankee privateers lurked near the harbourmouth.
In the 1790's French revolutionary guards burnt the community
During World War Two German U-boats plied the waterways around Bay Bulls. At war's end in 1945, a U-Boat even arrived there to surrender.
There are lots of old artillery pieces scattered around Bay Bulls. There are so many that somebody decided to use them as gateposts and statue bases at the local RC Church.
- Pros:Great, Great, Great!
- Cons:leaving sucks
- In a nutshell:Walk up to Gun Ridge. What a view!!
crummey's Related Pages
Bay Bulls Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bay Bulls
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Bay Bulls?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bay Bulls
Photos in Bay BullsSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 37 reviews, 196 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nain 29 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 14 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Bay Intro, 1 review, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Race Intro, 2 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northwest Territories Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferryland Intro, 1 review, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.