"Bonavista is a very old fishing community" Bonavista by crummey
Bonavista Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 17 photos
Bonavista Harbour was supposedly named by John Cabot who discovered Newfoundland in 1498.
The town is near the headlands of Cape Bonavista. Upon sighting land Cabot exclaimed "Oh Happy Sight!!" in Italian, which sounds like "Bonavista".
Bonavista is a rugged and windswept place. It was settled solely because of its proximity to the fishing grounds. One of the oldest fishing plantations in Bonavista is called Mockbeggar.
The land that conprises Bonavista was a part of a failed colonial endeavour called North Falkland Colony.
The fishing port has been continuously-occupied by English fisherfolk since the mid-1620's.
Bonavista became the hub of a lucrative cod fishery. .
Bonavista was attacked by French forces in the 17th and 18th centuries. To ward off invaders, residents maintained a fortified place on nearby Green Island. there is no record of the settlement ever being captured.
crummey's Related Pages
Bonavista Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Hikkaduwa Hotels
- Katakolon Hotels
- Valdez Hotels
- Special Capital Region of Jakarta
- Western Province
- Florida City Hotels
- Vladivostok Hotels
- Agios Nikolaos
- Tai Po
- Rincon Island Hotels
- Yellowstone National Park
- Chesapeake City
Badges & Stats in Bonavista
- 0 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Bonavista?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bonavista
Photos in BonavistaSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 37 reviews, 196 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nain 29 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 14 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Bay Intro, 1 review, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Race Intro, 2 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northwest Territories Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferryland Intro, 1 review, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.