"Greenspond - Bonavista Bay" Greenspond by crummey
Greenspond Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 19 photos
Greenspond is a scenic and historic place.
The town was once an isolated outport accessible only by boat. Today there is a causeway so you can visit Greenspond by vehicle. Now you have no excuse not to go!
Greenspond is an island on the northwest side of Bonavista Bay.
Three or four islands cluster together to form its harbour. The island s are all joined by causeways and bridges. The islands have names like Chaulk Island, Wing Island and Ship Island.
Greenspond is one of the oldest continually-occupied communities in Newfoundland. It was settled by seafolk because of its close-proximity to the fishing grounds. There is a folktale that the origonal settlers were named Green & Pond and the fishing port was named for them.
Greenspond hosts a Capelin Carnival every July. People come from miles around for the event. There are day-time festivities and at night there is a beer tent with live entertainment.
I guarantee that you'll have a rare old time at the Capelin Carnival!!!!!
- In a nutshell:Greenspond is a green land for 3 months a year and like Greenland for the other 9!
crummey's Related Pages
Greenspond Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greenspond
- 0 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Greenspond?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greenspond
Photos in GreenspondSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 37 reviews, 196 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nain 29 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 14 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Bay Intro, 1 review, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Race Intro, 2 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northwest Territories Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferryland Intro, 1 review, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.