"Its really easy to see how Happy Valley got named" Happy Valley by crummey
Happy Valley Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 8 photos
Happy Valley is nestled in a sheltered valley and was built alongside the Mighty Churchill River. Several miles away from the valley is CFB Goose Bay and its associated airport.
When an air force base was built at Goose Bay during World war 2, Happy Valley grew into the town that serviced it. As the base grew, Happy Valley also grew.
During the 1960's Goose Bay was the largest Strategic Air Command base outside of the United States. It garrisoned up to 10 000 United Stated servicemen and maintained an armoury that was rumoured to house 42 nuclear bombs.
When the United States Air Force abandoned Goose Bay, the former SAC command center and the community of Happy Valley amalgamated to form the town of Happy Valley-Goose Bay.
Today HV-GB is the second largest community in Labrador, and the de-facto capital of the Labrador Coast because it is a hub for shipping and commerce.
Goose Bay is situated about 60 miles inland, at the head of Hamilton Inlet. This is where the might Churchill River enters the sea. The inlet is long, narrow and surrounded by spruce forests, while the hills surrounding Happy Valley-Goose Bay are called The Mealy Mountains.
Goose Bay was chosen as the site of an air force base because of its deep water port. During the Cold War, it became one of the largest airports in the world.
Happy Valley became such a boom town that in 1954 Reverend Peacock transferred the Moravian Missionary Headquarters from Nain to the valley.
- Pros:A whole lotta good and not much that is bad!!
crummey's Related Pages
Happy Valley Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Its really easy to see how Happy Valley got named"
- Create a Happy Valley Travel Page
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Happy Valley
- 0 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Happy Valley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Happy Valley
Photos in Happy ValleySee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 37 reviews, 196 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nain 29 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 14 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Bay Intro, 1 review, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Race Intro, 2 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northwest Territories Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferryland Intro, 1 review, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.