"Harbour Grace was named for Havre de Grace, France" Harbour Grace by crummey
Harbour Grace Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 4 photos
In the 1600's, Harbour Grace was the haven of many pirates. Harbour Grace's pirates and buccaneers included Thomas Dermier and Henry Mainwaring but the most famous pirate was Peter Easton, who was, The Pirate Admiral.
Where the old Customs Office now stands, Peter Easton built a pirate fort. Peter Easton and directed his ship’s carpenters to construct a house for winter.
In the early 1600's Reverend Stoddard evangelized Conception Bay. .However, after his departure, there was no permant Anglican clergyman for almost two hundred years.
This stone church was completed in 1845 and replaced a Church of England chapel was opened during the American Revolution.
The Pirate Admiral, Peter Easton used Newfoundland as his base of operations until 1613. Under him were eight Pirate Captains: Frank, Stephenson, Hues, Bagh, Arthur, Ellis, Smith and Captain Harvey.
In 1611, French warships fought Peter Easton and his pirate fleet in the Harbour. The battle was bloody and the French were vanquished.
Today, the final resting place for the pirates who died is part of the United Church graveyard at Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, Their graves are unmarked.
- Pros:The grass is green in the summer and the water is blue
- In a nutshell:Harbour Grace, home of pirate legends
crummey's Related Pages
Harbour Grace Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Harbour Grace was named for Havre de Grace, France"
- Create a Harbour Grace Travel Page
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Harbour Grace
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Harbour Grace?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harbour Grace
- Posted in Travel Dominican Republic Forum "Re: I am requesting info about..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Harbour Grace was named for Havre de Grace, France"
- created a Harbour Grace Travel Page "Harbour Grace was named for Havre de Grace, France"
- Wrote a Review Visit the nearby community of Cupids in Harbour Grace Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Harbour GraceSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 37 reviews, 196 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nain 29 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 14 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Bay Intro, 1 review, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Race Intro, 2 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northwest Territories Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferryland Intro, 1 review, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.