"Hornby Island" Hornby Island by crummey
Hornby Island Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 47 photos
Hornby Island is a Northern Gulf island. Hornby Island is situated off of the east coast of Vancouver Island. It is in the Comox Valley telephone exchange.
Hornby Island is about about three hours north of Victoria; and two ferry rides away. A ferry must be taken from Vancouver Island to Denman Island. And then a second ferry from Denman to Hornby Island.
Ferries to and from Hornby Island stop running at about 6pm; except fridays. So be prepared to spend the night. Or even several days.
Hornby Island is named after Captain Hornby R.N.; A man who never actually ever set foot on the island.
Originally inhabited by Indians, English settlers began to arrive in the 1860's and 1870's.
The Weather on Hornby Island is great; the growing season is about 3 weeks ahead of nearby Comox valley.
Hornby Island has beautiful views of the Mainland and Vancouver Island glacier capped mountains. The large trees and old growth are all long gone. The forest is second, even third generation.
Hornby Island is known as a mecca for new age spiritualists and alternative lifestyle types. Comox Valley and Denman & Hornby islands are renowned for their vibrant art culture; there are ashtanga yoga retreats on Denman Island, Tai Chi, Kayaking etc.
In many ways the life of Hornby Island revolves around the new-age "Hornby Island Co-op". This co-op will be something hard for you to miss. There is also a bar on the island. It is called "The Thatch".
On Hornby Island, there is all forms of recreation and tourism: swimming, golfing, boating, camping etc.
There is a large sandy beach called Tribune Bay ( named after HMS Tribune) and another called Little Tribune ( renowned for it's nudists.)
Because of the proximity of the Comox Valley, only scant ferry rides away, a person could take advantage of municipal buses and government sponsored ferries to cover much of the region from Hornby Island to Denman Island, onto the towns of Courtenay, Cumberland and Comox.
Hornby has quite a mild climate. In the spring there are grape and apple trees in bloom, cherry trees, flowering scotch broom, daffodils, wild flowers and more. There is even orchards of Kiwi trees growing on Hornby Island.
- Pros:Wonderful magical place to get away from the hustle and bustle of life
- In a nutshell:A trendy place that is much in vogue with new-age and young hippie or "shrubbie" types
Hornby Island is a Northern Gulf island. Hornby Island is on the east coast of Vancouver Island. It is in the Comox... more travel advice
crummey's Related Pages
Hornby Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Hornby Island"
- "Hornby Island"
- "End of the Earth"
- "Hornby Island, pearl of Georgia Strait"
- "Hornby Island, British Columbia"
- "HORNBY ISLAND"
- "Hornby Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hornby Island
- Hotels in Hornby Island
- Restaurants in Hornby Island
- Shopping in Hornby Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hornby Island
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Hornby Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hornby Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 37 reviews, 196 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nain 29 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 14 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Bay Intro, 1 review, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Race Intro, 2 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northwest Territories Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferryland Intro, 1 review, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.