"Havre Petite is Petty Harbour" Petty Harbour by crummey
Petty Harbour Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 19 photos
An early refuge for Portuguese Fishermen, by 1619 there was bloodshed as West Country Fishermen and Portuguese brawled.
Permanently inhabited by the mid-1600's, the village was raided by Dutch Pirates and destroyed in 1696 when D'Iberville's Canadienes murdered over thirty of the villagers.
Fishiong Admirals were the Governors of Newfoundland until 1729 and one of the most imphamous Fishing Admirals was Captain Ford, the Governor of Petty Harbour.
By law, he was allowed to whip people as punishment. In a time when there was no court of appeal and there was no due process, captain Ford is remembered as one of the most cruel and sadistic Fishing Admirals in the annals of Newfoundland and Labrador
Petty harbour is a happy, peaceful fishing village wuith a long history
Written Oct 31, 2005
Petty harbour Fun
Written Dec 12, 2005
Cape Spear is near Petty Harbour
crummey's Related Pages
Petty Harbour Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Petty Harbour
- 0 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Petty Harbour?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petty Harbour
Photos in Petty HarbourSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 37 reviews, 196 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nain 29 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 14 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Bay Intro, 1 review, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Race Intro, 2 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northwest Territories Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferryland Intro, 1 review, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.