"Renews; The Lost Colony of Cambriol." Renews by crummey
Renews Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 10 photos
Renews means Rocky Bottom in an archaic French dialect. When the tide recedes and large stones loom out of the shallow harbour it is easy to see where it got its name.
Renews was once the site of a colonial endeavour called Cambriol.
Sir William Vaughan was the mastermind of Cambriol. He was a Welsh nobleman who colonized Renews with Gaelic-speaking peasantry circa 1617.
Unfortunately, the settlement quickly became the focal point of pirate attacks.
In 1618, the colony suffered two different pirate attacks. The first were English. The second were Flemish. They devastated the colony so much that the project was soon abandoned.
In 1582 an English pirate named Richard Clarke seized three Portuguese ships at Renews. He took the boats to nearby Fermeuse where they were ransacked and stripped of anything of value.
In 1663, the Fishing Admirals of Renews were:
Captain Waymouth of Dartmouth.
Captain Hammett of Barnstaple.
Captain Martin of Plymouth
Captain Scott of Barnstaple.
There were also five fishing premises situated there. They were owned by John Kirk, Richard Pooly, Richard Codner, the Widow Gelder and Jim Kelland.
In 1675, a navy officer named Sir John Berry enumerated Renews. His census recorded six households with five wives. there were ten children, thirty-six servants, three wharves and nine cows. Typical names were Davis, Lane and Hudley.
In 1696, a French general named J-F de Brouillan captured Renews and enslaved the populace. he also built a fort on the mount overlooking the harbour. The presence of the fort is a historic fact that was reported to the House of Commons on the state of affairs in Newfoundland
- Pros:great place
- In a nutshell:a great place to visit. Nice people
crummey's Related Pages
Renews Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Renews
- 0 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Renews?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Renews
Photos in RenewsSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination St. John's Intro, 37 reviews, 196 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nain 29 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Newfoundland and Labrador Intro, 14 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Western Bay Intro, 1 review, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Race Intro, 2 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northwest Territories Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ferryland Intro, 1 review, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 1 review, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
No friends yet.